We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids and music venues

Wayne NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kids and music venues

We are heading to New Orleans in 3 weeks. My daughter is 16 and a musician. We want to take in as much good music as we can. What happens when you want to go to a place such as Snug Harbor, is there an age restriction for places that sell alcohol? We can go to restaurants with her that serve alcohol, how is it with the clubs. And I mean quality clubs with good jazz, not the dives on Bourbon Street.

I assume since they don't serve anything, we could take her to Preservation Hall. She is a clarinet player and looking forward to hearing some good music.

Any advice? Previous visits to New Orleans were about 20 years ago and pre kid.

Thanks

Wayne NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kids and music venues

Thank you all for your input, looks like we are going to be able to take our daughter to alot of good music.

Another question: How about Vaughans on the night Kermit Ruffins performs, think its Thursdays. Can't find a website for them. Any body have any insight as to whether or not a 16 year old would be admitted?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kids and music venues

In South Louisiana, an underage child, regardless of age, will usually be admitted to any bar/lounge, when accompanied by their parents. I don't know that this follows the letter of the law, but it's the way things are and have been since I was a child, and I'm now on the far side of 60. When my grandoparents were still alive, and living in New Orleans (west bank), we'd all have Sunday dinner at their house, then walk down the street to the corner saloon, where the older folks would have their beers and us kids would have our Barq's root beers.

Of course, there are places where I wouldn't have considered taking our children, but they've never been turned away at any place where I felt comfortable with their being there.

If you're turned away from any establishment, other than the dives on Bourbon St., it will be very unusual.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kids and music venues

"In South Louisiana, an underage child, regardless of age, will usually be admitted to any bar/lounge, when accompanied by their parents."

I don't think so. It's apparently been a while since you've tried bringing your underage child into a local bar.

14. Re: Kids and music venues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 03, 2009