We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
121 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

Hi everyone, my boss said there is a parade every night, can you tell me about it? When and were does it start? What to expect and where to stand? Thanks you guys and gals are the best I have ever experienced on a forum board.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,646 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

Maybe a parade of people walking up and down Bourbon Street looking for excitement is what he means but not in the sense of a Mardi Gras or Irish Day parade. Just people milling about and looking into doorways or going in and out of bars, restaurants, and music venues.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

Your boss is confusing New Orleans with DisneyWorld. :-)

No nightly parades although there's usually quite a cast of characters on Bourbon.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

Only if you consider stumbling and staggering a parade. ;-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
121 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

Cajunwave do you know my boss? That has me LOL and wanting to share it with everyone in the office. She really should retire. Thanks for everyones input I'm still smiling.

Level Contributor
421 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

when we were walking up canal st towards bourbon street we heard music that sounded like a marching band. it was a small group of street musicians who played most of the night at that corner, and the buildings amplified the sound so if you were a bit farther away you would think there was a parade. agree with previous posters about a parade of staggering folk clutching plastic cups :).

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

The only parade we saw on Bourbon Street was throngs of staggering drunks, and I do not need to return to nighttime on Bourbon St. for a very long time.

We did see a parade however. We were there for the Food and Wine Festival and they had a little parade complete with a band and lots of people throwing beads....got quite caught up in catching those trinkets. We also saw several wedding processions out of the cathedral. They were like mini-parades with the bride and groom in a carriage, the wedding party right behind them in another, larger carriage and all the guests following behind waving white hankerchefs. Do not know about that custom, but it seemed quite the "in" thing to do in New Orleans. They all went for several blocks until arriving at the reception destination, and it was quite entertaining, certainly better than Bourbon Street. It made me wonder about the cost. Having married three daughters I am keenly aware of wedding expenses and I imagine hiring a band and carriages is not cheap.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

Busy-retired...sounds like you've had a great stay in the Quarter!

I'm guessing that the parade you saw during New Orleans Wine & Food Experience was the "Krewe of Cork" and I hope you were successful in catching lots of stuff! It's always fun to get the attention of a Krewe member and make a connection when you catch something. You should come back at Mardi Gras and practice your catching skills again!

The white-handkerchief-waving wedding guests were part of a "Second Line" procession from the Cathedral to the reception. Yes, it's a fun custom here. Unlike ceremonies held at the Cathedral, most weddings aren't within walking distance of the reception, so require a separate limo ride to the reception. So then the second-line is usually a part of the reception... definitely a great time!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

I am sure we saw that Krewe because in addition to beads we also picked up some plastic coins that were embossed with Krewe of Cork on them. My daughter and son-in-law attended a wine and food tasting event on Royal Street Thursday evening. It was held in the various galleries on Royal Street. They made an aquaintence with a member of this organization who took them to a private home where there was some type of private party involving this organization. My children were extremely impressed.

We do not understand anything about krewes or anything about Mardi Gras except it is a very large party. I guess I shall have to do more research so I understand the traditions behind the events more clearly. It is unique and exotic and I know I will appreciate it more if I educate myself about it more fully.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

Can anyone tell us how the "second line" tradition got started? I took my 17 yr old son and a friend to a mardi gras party at a cajun restaurant here in Dallas this past February. As the band started up a very familiar jazz tune, I automatically started waving my napkin. They were so embarrased until they realized everyone else was doing the same! o.k. . . . . i've been doing this my whole life . . . . but why?????? :) I could't explain it to the kids other than to say "you know, it's like a second line".

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there really a parade every night on Bourbon Street?

Is there possibly a book that explains the origins and traditions of krewes and the other traditions that are unique to New Orleans? I have also been in a couple of other cities that celebrate a bit similar to New Orleans. Tampa, for example, does something a little like Mardi Gras. I would love to read what they do and why they do it. Any suggested reading????