We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, CANADA
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

I am also going to NOLA in July and my husband and I are staying at teh Provincial(Chartres and St Phiip).

What are the Safer Streets to walk up at night say if I were going to Preservation hall or Jean Lafitte's or walking back from there at night should I take

St. Anne, Dumaine or St Philip??? are these well populated and well lit??or should I cab it for such a short distance for saftey's sake??

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
925 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

You should be fine in those portions of th Quarter. Just keep your wits about you, same as you would at night in any other urban setting in America... However, if you're feeling skittish, the route along Chartres to Jackson Square, then up St. Ann to Bourbon is a good one. This area is heavily touristed, and has regular police patrols.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

Absolutely no reason to call a cab unless you're out VERY VERY late or are VERY VERY drunk! :-) As was previously mentioned, the French Quarter is pretty heavily policed.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,574 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

St. Anne, Chartres..shouldn't be a problem but you can also go up Decatur as if going to Palm Court and then cut up to the Provincial...You are not too far from Irene's..great Italian food..and you'll like the Provincial with it creole/French style and fountain in the courtyard. We've stayed in the Provincial many times...sometimes real late at Harrahs we just take a cab all the way back to the Provincial when staying there or the Le Richelieu when there..

NOLA
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

take a cab to Royal St, Chartres St

Take cabs at night even if a couple of blocks

Using a cab and being very vigilant getting in and out

you re okay

That lower end of the Quarter near Lafittes is not safe

at night at all and sometimes a little further to the left or

down the street as well

Stay where you see CROWDS;

Its the wild wild west down there and everything you hear

is true, and more.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

You'll be fine walking up either Chartres or Decatur. Call a cab if you're tired...otherwise, enjoy the stroll!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

Agree with Casey. Ignore the troll and enjoy the stroll!

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

You'll be fine walking those areas at night.

I was there in March and never felt unsafe walking in the Quarter anywhere in the area bordered by Bourbon St & Decatur, and Canal & Ursulines. The more you use Bourbon as your travel street the more comfortable you'll probably be because it seemed to consistently be the heaviest travelled and policed street in the quarter.

I will say that the latest I was out and about was around 2:30, so I can't speak to conditions in the very late-night hours.

Also, let me second the Irene's recomendation, one of the most enjoyable meals I've ever had, anywhere, was my 10th anniversary dinner there in 2005.

Carey

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

I stay in the area often, and will be there tonight. I travel this area constantly (at all hours of the night) and have never felt ill at ease. The area from the Provincial toward Canal is very well traveled at most hours.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

I have traveled all around the Quarter at night and never felt uncomfortable or as if I were in any type of danger. Have stayed at the Provincial and LeRichelieu, both a little out of the way from the main crowds, and never hesitated to walk back at night. I'm bringing my 3 granddaughters to New Orleans in December, if I felt that New Orleans was that dangerous I certainly wouldn't bring them. I think that any city has dangers in certain areas. My own city, which is not a particularly crime-ridden city, recently had four shootings in a 24 hour period - all in the same drug infested part of town, not in any area where a tourist would visit.

I read an article today about a tv series called K-Ville that is going to be filmed in New Orleans and will be about detectives in the police dept (kind of a Law & Order type of show). A reference was made to New Orleans being the wild wild west. I wonder if that is where the other poster came up with that. In any event, anyone who reads the posts here can see that the vast majority of people feel very safe in the Quarter and have a wonderful visit. While being careful and safety-conscious is fine, that one poster sounded paranoid. The area around Lafitte's is dangerous? The biggest danger I have ever felt in that area is that someone might have too much to drink and stumble in front of you!

New Orleans is the beautiful beautiful south, not the wild wild west. Please come and enjoy this beautiful, friendly city.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: Safety Walking Streets in the Quarter

We are in town now and feel very safe walking throughout the quarter. We are attending Wine & Food Experiance, bought the tee shirt, and are just having a wonderful time. Keep your wits about you as you would in any large city, duh!, and you will be fine. Come and enjoy don't let the worrymeisters alarm you from having a good and safe time. toot... are you attending the now&fe, we are at the tastings both days.