We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire

I am coming to New Orleans in December for a few days before going on a road trip around a few other states. So far i have struggled to find any reasonable car hire - can anybody recommend a local company ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

Enterprise tends to be among the cheapest in most markets. You may also try Thrifty or Dollar. I don't know if UK residents can use Priceline or Hotwire.com, but they are options if you're allowed to use these sites for bids.

Be aware that almost no US agency allows rentals to drivers under 25 and be careful to check mileage limits (look for unlimited mileage!) when booking.

Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,154 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

I don't know where you have been looking for car rental rates. Here are some websites.

www.budget.com, www.thrifty.com, www.alamo.com, www.nationalcar.com.

Those are some of the US companies where I usually find the lowest rates.

Also, I don't know your exact plans, but you may not need a car in New Orleans if you are staying in or near the French Quarter. Plan on picking up your car when you are leaving if possible. Parking rates at New Orleans hotels are expensive. All these companies will have pick up locations near the French Quarter in addition to the New Orleans airport.

Whitstable, England
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

I'm from the UK and am doing a Mississippi Cruise then travelling from NO thru Texas ending up at Dallas for my flight home and am using Budget, pick up from Canal St drop off at Dallas Int Airport, very reasonable rates especially as its one-way.

Long Beach, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire

I was just in New Orleans and if your staying in the French Quarter you DO NOT need a car while your there. It will honestly take you longer to drive somewhere then it will to just walk. Most people who rent a car end up regretting it because it stays in a parking lot the entire trip, and the parking rates are high.

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now