We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open Container Laws?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Open Container Laws?

I know you can have a beer to go in the FQ, but is this true throughout the whole city?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open Container Laws?

I believe the law is consistent throughout Orleans Parish. Alcoholic beverages can be carried in a cup or can but not in a glass bottle or container. Alcohol can be sold and/or consumed 24/7.

Throughout Louisiana, you can't have an open container in a motor vehicle. This applies to both driver and passengers.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Open Container Laws?

So, do they not sell liquor at the gas stations anymore?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open Container Laws?

Yes, some gas stations sell beer/wine and liquor. You just can't "drink and drive" or consume it in the car. It's supposed to be carried home and then consumed. Or certainly you can WALK with it all you want. :-)

I remember reading about a guy who got a DWI on a bicycle recently. It was considered a moving vehicle!

New Orleans, LA USA
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Open Container Laws?

I love the fact that you can get a drive-thru daiquiri, and drive with it, as long as the lid is on and the straw's not in!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Open Container Laws?

I know - that cracks me up too. As long as the straw has not penetrated the lid, it is not an "open container," LOL!!

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
571 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Open Container Laws?

I was shocked by the drive-thru daiquiri shops on my first trip to N.O. We were driving through Kenner/Metairie, couldn't believe our eyes, and of course had to drive-thru to pick up our daiquiri's. We discussed whether this was legal or not , but figured if they sold them in a drive thru, were served in styrofoam cups and alcohol could be legally served 24/7, then it had to be legal to drink them while driving. It's a good thing we weren't stopped because I don't think ignorance of the law would have prevented us from getting citations or worse yet, getting arrested. It would have been a classic case of live and learn.

7. Re: Open Container Laws?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:22 am, August 28, 2009