We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three top attractions?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Three top attractions?

Thank you for the great information so far. Planning this trip reminds me what a lot of information one needs to learn in order to make best use of a short amount of time. I have more sympathy for visitors to the parks of Southern Utah.

So it looks like we will only have about 3-4 hours in Madison... I might even skip it altogether, but I am trying to see as many state capitols as I can, and it is pretty much right in our path.

This will be a game day saturday morning and I think I want to get out of town before it gets too hectic.

So I'm thinking of visiting the State Capitol, Monona Terrace and the Farmers market. It looks like these are all fairly close together, right?

Are these good choices? Is there something else that you would consider more representative of Madison? We will be coming in from the south and heading northwest to Sauk City. Is there a route that would be best to avoid traffic?

Up North
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three top attractions?

Are you coming on a Saturday with a football home game? Certainly the Farmer's Market plus the Capitol should be at the top. If time permits, also fit in the nearby Monona Terrace, else skip it and instead drive through the UW campus, esp along Observatory Drive between Park Street and Babcock to get a great scenic view of Lake Mendota. If time and parking spots permit, stop at the Babcock Hall ice cream shop for a scoop or cup of the best ice cream, then head out west on University Ave to Hwy 12 (west) for a scenic drive to Sauk City.

Traffic will not be a problem leaving (unless you are leaving just after a game ends - avoid that at all costs), may be a heavy traffic approaching from the south if you're arriving about an hour before the game,

Edited: 8:08 pm, May 13, 2014
Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three top attractions?

Those are definitely the big three downtown. Park once and walk around! Be sure to go to the top deck on the Capitol and look around if it is a pleasant day. It's the highest point for miles, so you can see everything.

Then you can head out to the Beltline on John Nolen Drive to watch the football traffic coming at you from the other direction, and as NCC says, continue on US Hwy 12 all the way to Sauk City.

If you choose the shorter route out University Avenue, you will have some football traffic, until you clear Campus Drive and come out in Shorewood Hills. People come early to tailgate, so no matter what time you plan to head out, you will have traffic. Especially if we are the early (11 AM) game on your date.

Sounds like you're getting closer in the fine-tuning. That must feel good! For me, the planning is half the fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three top attractions?

Thank you to both. I'm glad to know my choices are good. Madison seems like a nice city, it would be nice to spend more time there. Thank you as well for the suggestions on which way to head out. I'll take a look at those to see what appeals most.

Yup kimbobb, It only took about two weeks, an argument and major breakdown in communication to decide what to do that first day :-) Hopefully the rest of the week will work out a little easier. Hubby is forgoing both the Harley Davidson Museum and the Badger football game to head to the watermelon festival in Pardeeville.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three top attractions?

Ah, there MUST be drama. At least he's focusing on watermelon and seed-spitting, which are much cheaper than football and the Harley museum! Too bad you won't be here for the cow chip toss in Sauk City Labor Day weekend!

I just hope you do a lot of stuff that is fun for YOU. I try for a 50-50 split with my husband, and then he ends up liking MY stuff more than what HE insisted we had to do. Go figure........

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three top attractions?

Cow chip Toss?? Dang! And cheaper is good! I had all sorts of Frank Lloyd Wright homes planned, but my heavens the entrance fees would have added up, so we are paring that down to probably two. And hence my interest in Monona Terrace--

Ya, he tells me afterward how much he loves the trips I plan, but getting to there can be hard. This whole week will be me,,, lots of nature and birds and water :-) I even enjoy the baseball games, so the harley museum was for him. There is still a chance we can get there. It depends on our Door county plans, which will be the next big decision.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three top attractions?

< Certainly the Farmer's Market plus the Capitol should be at the top>

Please don't forget to check out the cheese shop too!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three top attractions?

Which cheese shop would that be alumnus?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three top attractions?

The Cheese Shop is right on the Square and is fantastic! It's call Fromagination. http://fromagination.com

And if you want any pasta with your cheese, look for RP's Pasta--they have a booth in the Market. I miss it now that I'm in NYC.

Pam

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three top attractions?

Thanks Pam. We'll check it out.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three top attractions?

The Monona Terrace is just a few block walk from the Capitol building. It's a very pretty area, good for people watching. I'm going to take a different view of seeing the campus on game day. If you're not going to the game, I'd say stay away. Our daughter and s-i-l have season tickets so my husband often joins them. She'll stay for the pre-game fun and I pick her up to do Girl Stuff. I'm semi-comfortable driving around Madison (we don't live there) but last year I missed a turn and ended up right in the heart of the traffic at Camp Randall right before the game! Interesting but I wouldn't go out of my way to do THAT again. IMHO all you'll see is lots of people walking, wearing red and some partying.

Ah yes, planning trips and spousal communication. I spent months planning our epic drive to the SW and 8 state parks. I kept asking him what he wanted to do, see etc. He was agreeable to whatever I wanted and made a few suggestions. A couple of days before we left, he told me HIS thoughts of the trip. He informed me he thought we'd be golfing as we drove across the country! We were taking his clubs as we'd be in AZ with my sister and he had a round scheduled but REALLY?! We worked things out and he's since learned to talk out loud, to me, not just between himself LOL. BTW, when we got back, he said I did a wonderful job planning and he loved it all.