We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts or lake towns near Madison?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Resorts or lake towns near Madison?

We are visiting our nephew in Madison in June. Are there any nearby hotels/restorts with lake views? No need to stay right in downtown is there?

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,362 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts or lake towns near Madison?

how far are you willing to travel?

north of madison is the wisconsin dells area... despite the fact that it is one of the biggest tourist traps in the midwest, there are resorts to stay at places such as lake delton....

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts or lake towns near Madison?

We wanted to stay on either of the two lakes that are in Madison. But thanks for that heads up. We will def plan a road trip to The Dells.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts or lake towns near Madison?

The best hotel on the lake is the Edgewater, in my opinion. It is on Lake Mendota and close to the campus. You can also stay at the Hilton on Lake Monona. The Inn on the Park has rooms with Lake Monona views also. I believe that the Hyatt has some rooms with lake views of Monona as well.

Otherwise, the Sheraton has rooms with lake views and more reasonable prices. It's south of downtown, but there is a great bike and walking path along the lake from there to downtown that is spectacular to walk when the sun is coming up.

It would probably be best to call these hotels directly and request a lake view. The Edgewater gives you that option on line when it is available, but I don't believe the others do. AND they have a pier right on the lake where I've spent many a happy hour.......

Let us know if none of these appeal, and we can suggest more ideas.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts or lake towns near Madison?

kimbob, YOU ROCK! Thanks so much for this advise!!

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts or lake towns near Madison?

I LOVED my last visit to Salem and Rockport - glad to see someone from there coming to visit us! Come back with any more questions that you run into during your planning.

6. Re: Resorts or lake towns near Madison?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, June 18, 2013