We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madison in July

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Novato, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Madison in July

My family will be in Madison for 2 day in July this coming summer. Am looking for somewhere good to stay with kids..... are there any cabins on the lake or anything similar? Good hotels near something fun to do? Any advice appreciated. Kids are 2, 6 and 8

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
618 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madison in July

What kind of price range are you considering? My first thought might be one of the hotels near the Capitol Square: near children's museum, farmers market, etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madison in July

I agree that for Madison proper, downtown would be the best option. The other option is a hotel on the outskirts. Downtown, you can walk State Street down to the Union for Ice Cream and and to the Children's Museum. You can walk over to Lake Monona. The zoo is a short drive away as is the arboretum. You can easily get to Lake Wingra where there are paddle boats. Options include The Concourse, Hilton, Bestwestern Inn on the Park - all within a block of the Capital Square. There are other choices as well.

If you really want something on a lake with Cabins you're going to have to head out of town. I'm sorry, but I don't have any personal experience with any places close to Madison.

Pam

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
618 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madison in July

The other one I might add to Pam's suggestions is the Hyatt Place (on W. Washington Ave about 2 blocks from the Square). I've never stayed at it - but it just looks so bright and shiny and new when I drive past it. :-) (…hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/place/index.jsp)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madison in July

Are you familiar with Madison? Yes, there are lakes all around Madison, but it's really more of an urban/suburban feel. It's not "Up North" where people go away to stay at a cabin in the woods. Madison is the state capital and has our largest University so it's a terrific place to visit.

Novato, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madison in July

Thank you for all the info. Have been to Madison before but many years ago and don't really recall that much as I was a kid :) Like the suggestions for staying near lots of things to do. One other concern I hope someone can answer for me. We'll be traveling with a popup tent trailer towed behind our car, so we need a hotel with a parking lot, not a garage because we will need to park the trailer and a garage would not work. Do all the hotels mentioned have outdoor parking lots? Thank you.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
618 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madison in July

That may pose a problem. I *think* all the hotels mentioned near the Capitol Square use ramps or valet parking. I'm not sure though, so can't hurt to check with the specific hotel.

If a parking lot is a 'make it or break it' decision point, you'll have no problem at most of the places out toward the east or west sides of town.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madison in July

Ask the hotel about a safe place for your trailer. I remember this issue coming up before and it was a problem at the Concourse.

Also, other hotels to check that are close, to downtown, would be hotels near the Alliance Center. They have parking lots. Also, The Best Western Inn Towner is on the near west side and has a parking lot. I know people who have stayed there and been very happy.

Pam

8. Re: Madison in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, October 16, 2012