We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendation

Iowa
13 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendation

Doing a guys trip on the 23rd -25th of July to Madison. We have a guide lined up for the 23rd and the 24th for some muskie fishing.

I'm looking for some hotel recommendations. We'd like to stay around the state capital area as it has the great dane, maduro, and essen-haus. (Open to other recommendations as well) but the hotels in this area seem a little high. Can we stay else where and take a taxi down there or would we eating up the cost difference just in taxi fares? We don't need anything fancy but something comfortable.

It's this Hawkeye's first trip to Madison but hope to make the game up there next year.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Have you tried Priceline's name your own price option? I often use it when I have found an area in which I want to stay, am ok with any hotel in that area of a certain class, but I find the rack rates to be too high. If there isn't a large event going on in the area during your dates, you are more likely to succeed. Check out biddingfortravel.com for previous winning bids/properties.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
949 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendation

I haven't stayed here, but you might want to consider Hotel Ruby Marie. It's on the same block as the Essen House and short blocks from the Great Dane, so you can crawl to your room (hee,hee). http://www.rubymarie.com/rooms.htm

There is a deli on the ground floor which I have occasion to visit. We did sneak upstairs to look at the rooms and they seemed nice for the brief minute that we peeked inside. Not sure about parking - there is a lot behind the Hotel/Essen Haus/Come Back Inn complex but not sure if they have spots for hotel guests.

If you don't want to drive because of drinking it's one thing, but there is street parking and ramps around the Square, so if you want to get cheaper lodging further from downtown, you can easily drive/park where you want to go - especially after about 4 p.m.

Iowa
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Thanks for the input. I'm going to go the name your price way at priceline and select the downtown area.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Yes, most of the hotels in the downtown area are expensive. It's not until you get to the outskirts of town that they drop. It has to do with the University and State Government both being in the area. ; ) Sadly, there isn't terrific public transit. Price line or similar services are your best options. Pam

Iowa
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Thanks Pam. Priceline'd the Sheraton for a good rate think. Doesn't seem too far from State Street so I hope it isn't an issue to find a taxi there and back.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recommendation

Yes, that should work for you. In a real pinch you could probably walk it if you had walking shoes on. Pam

7. Re: Hotel Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 14, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Madison
Recent Conversations