We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Choice

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
74 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Choice

We are finalizing our trip to downtown Madison - and I'm deciding between three hotels. We'll be there for three nights:

Best Western Inn on the Park: $487 total

Concourse (non Gov Club room): $524 total

Hilton Madison Monona: $618 total

From everything I've seen the BW is in pretty bad need of renovation. But I've also heard that the non - Gov club floors at the Concourse are not in very good shape either. Are both of these generally true? Is it worth it to pay the extra $100 or so for the Hilton? All three seem to be equally well located.

Any opinions would be a big help!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
937 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Choice

While I haven't stayed at any of them, I do work almost next to the Hilton. I believe it has only been open about 3-4 years. It's situated so that it is almost lakefront on the one side, so most of those rooms would have a lovely view of Lake Monona. Not sure if you can see Lake Mendota from the top floor of the Concourse, but I doubt it. You can see the lake from the upper floors at the Best Western.

The Hilton is a very nice hotel and has a decent restaurant. The Concourse also has a decent restaurant and I believe has some entertainment on weekends. Both the Concourse and the Best Western would be closer to State Street. I think there is valet parking at the Best Western and underground parking at the other two. If you really don't have to watch your money, I would go with the Hilton; second choice would be the Concourse.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Choice

I would second that recommendation. The Hilton is the newest and it is right near the square. The Concourse would be my second choice. The rooms are standard, but acceptable with the nicer ones on the Governor's Club floors. We used to have sales meetings fairly regularly at the Concourse and it's location is terrific. I have had mixed reviews from colleagues who have stayed at the Best Western. It's definitely the third choice. Pam

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
930 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Choice

The Concourse and the Inn on the Park have both completed renovation of all of their rooms. The Concourse has done so most recently, just finishing up over the summer.

We put large groups at both hotels in early August, and for the first time in a long time, I heard no complaints about either hotel.

The customer service at the Hilton is abysmal. They do not train their people very well or they train them to be very snotty (we can't decide), so if you like friendly, cheerful help, try one of the others.

On the other hand, if you are just looking for the best possible views out your window, as others have stated, the Hilton is your home. You also got a very good price, so it must not be a home football weekend!

I'm probably making this worse for you, though. If it was me, I'd go for the cheapest room, the BWIP, and ask for a room with a view when you check in.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
74 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Choice

Thanks for your help on a couple of threads kimbobb.

I just went ahead and booked the BW. I found a 14 day advanced rate on their website that only ended up being $404 after taxes for three nights - which was the most reasonable thing I've found.

We'll be up there 3 weeks from tomorrow. Have never been to Madison before - so we're really looking forward to exploring the town!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Choice

As long as it's not a football weekend, why not try priceline? I can't imagine you can't get it for less than that.

6. Re: Hotel Choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, February 24, 2010