We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Parking

I won a bid on priceline for the Madison Concourse Hotel. $45 by the way. excellent. But like always you never know what you get until you book it. Parking can be a problem sometimes.

Here is my question. The hotel parking is underground and there is not enough clearance for my vehicle and my two kayaks/canoes on top. I will not fit.

The hotel said that I can park on the street from 6 pm to 8 am. Is this ok to leave the boats there all night on the truck? We do lock them to the rack. Or are there any parking lots around that we could use, or if we are just better off leaving it on the street.

We arrive on a Thursday night and only staying until 9 or 10 am the next day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking

Most of the parking downtown is garage parking these days. I've been trying to think of place that would have some security and be open. I'm not sure about leaving them on the street. Generally, its safe, as you do have locks.

Did you think of unloading them and stashing and walking them into the garage? That might be the best option. BTW if you do park on the street, you probably won't have to move the car at 8 AM, just feed the meter. Pam

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking

I thought about taking them off and storing them somewhere, but no where seems any better then on top of the vehicle. We are leaning on leaving the truck on the street with them on top. I guess it's just as safe as other hotel parking lots we have left them in the past.

But still open to other suggestions from anyone.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking

I'm not sure when you are coming - was it this weekend? Call Michael at the hotel Sales Department on Tuesday, if it's not too late (608-294-3020). Tell him Kim from IceCube suggested that you call.

If they have space available, I'm sure that there is somewhere that they can store these for you. If not, my office building is two blocks away, and I can arrange for you to park your truck in there overnight, if necessary.

Gotta support my forum friends!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking

Thanks Kim

NO it was not this weekend.

I will call tomorrow during the day.

Where could they store them at the hotel?

So does this mean you don't think its safe to leave them on the street for the night.

The truck will be full of our camping stuff, we are going on a 2 night river trip on Friday. We often leave them in hotel parking lots in the area, it is just that this one only has the low clearance.

oops :)

That's what you get when you use priceline.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking

I thought of the low clearance right away! I've watched people try to pull in there with stuff on their vans. It's not fun......

I would say you can park on the street on most weeknights without any trouble, if the stuff is locked. People leave their vehicles parked on the street here all summer with canoes on top, and I've never heard of anyone stealing one.

My only concern is that we have a lot of festivals and outdoor events downtown in the summer, and there's always a chance that someone picking up or delivering stuff to one in a truck or van might be tempted.

The hotel may be willing to store them in an unused meeting room or in THEIR storage area, especially if you offer to pay for the privilege!

If it were me, I'd risk leaving them on the roof on the street, especially if you park on Wisconsin Avenue, which is the side street. I just want to be sure you know I can't PROMISE you nothing will happen!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking

Thanks again Kim:

I am also not too worried about something happening to them. But you never know and I have not been there for a while. I figured this was a good place to ask. Love TA

I know we stayed very close to here several years back.

I thought it was the Ramada Inn, but can't find it, anyway they had a parking structure that our fishing boat did not fit in, and we parked down the street in some lot, all was fine.

Thanks for the help.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking

Your equipment should be fine if it's locked to the rack.

In for the Paddle & Portage? If so, consider parking overnight near the launch site at James Madison Park, then walking back to The Concourse. Even drop-off spots get hard to find on the morning of the race. Just read the parking signs carefully.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking

No paddle and portage this year for me. We are doing a 2 nighter on the Wisconsin west of Spring Green.

But thanks and good luck on paddle and portage. Great event. lol

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking

My name is Stephanie LaBella and I am the Customer Service Manager at The Madison Concourse Hotel. I would be happy to talk to you about your storage issues.

You may contact me via email at slabella@concoursehotel.com or via telephone 800-356-8293 x-3062.

We look forward to having you with us. Thank you.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking

Hi:

We stayed at the Concourse last Thursday night and it was so easy to park on Wisconsin. Did not even worry about the boats at all. Almost forgot to put money in the meter in the AM. LOL

We arrived to late to enjoy any kind of nice dinner so we just walked to the Great Dane. Had a few new beers and ate. Walked around just a little.

I still have to get to Porta Bella. We may be visiting again soon, only no boats this time. Just enjoy the city a little.

Thanks for all the help. And Kim that was really nice of you to offer the parking location.

Stephanie thanks for the offer also, all went well.