We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking about moving to Madison

virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Thinking about moving to Madison

I have a job offer in Madison. When I visited in August I was very impressed with the downtown area, the university, the culture, the restaurants, the politics (I am progressive), the lakes, the people (they seemed friendly) and the overall vibe of the city. After reading some of the postings on the "Living in Madison" forum, I have become a little weary. How bad are the winters (typically)? Is it difficult to meet people? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

Please do not be put off by some of the negative postings. Madison is an amazing city and has numerous awards to show for it. I have lived in Madison and my son currently lives there after graduating from the UW. He loves this city and has put down roots. there are so many organizations, clubs etc. to join so that meeting people should be a breeze. Winters are cold everywhere in Wisconsin but Madison is full of some amazing cold weather activities. All in all I think that you will love living there. Good Luck!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

Winters can be cold. It's not bad if you are prepared for it. You'll need to get some warm boots, hats/scarfs/gloves, and probably a down jacket. I used to work at UW-Milwaukee and most of the new students from down south only had light jackets. They thought their normal "winter" jackets would work here but they soon found out that thicker jackets are required. Once you get the proper gear, winters are fine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
137 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

A native of Wisconsin, I graduated from UW years ago and absolutely loved my years in Madison. Granted, I am a bit older now but still think it is a fantastic place. In fact, it is probably the only place in Wisconsin I would consider moving back to. Winters aren't really any worse than anywhere else in the Upper Midwest but coming from Virginia, they will take some getting used to. There are all sorts of things to get involved in. My guess is that it will be easier to meet people there than in most other cities of its size.

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

Madison is a great town for all the reasons you listed here. I lived there from 87-95 and happen to be visiting right now as I do every year. But, it is cold. Quite cold, IMO, and I grew up in the Midwest. The summers are amazing and I used to keep a photo of my boat on my fridge to get me through the winters. If you think you can handle the winters, I'm sure you'd love it.

virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

Thank you all for your insight; it affirms what I already believed. I am looking forward to life in Madison, but will definitely have to shop for some new (heavy) winter clothes.

Level Contributor
465 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

vtech, You will love Madison. You will get used to the winters. The wonderful quality of life in the midwest makes up for the cold months. There is so much to do in Madison, for all ages. You will need to become a Badger sports fan. Try to get to some games, they are so much fun. The Badger Band is awesome. Their April concert is a fun thing to do. The University has a lot to offer the community. So.......welcome to Wisconsin, buy a RED jacket when you get here and .........GO BADGERS.......... !!!!!!

Madison
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

Depends on what kind of city you are use to, just moved here from Twin Cities and am not finding a lot to do. Everything is relative.

Midwest
Level Contributor
11 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

I did the opposite--moved from Madison to the Twin Cities (and now to a small town outside the TC but work there). I'm still waiting for circumstances to change to make it feasible to get back to Madison.

The traffic in the Twin Cities seems to get worse every year. I love that you can live in downtown Madison and walk everywhere. Madison has a lot of great restaurants, and not just chains. It has the usual "city" things to do, like movies, bars, clubs, plays, etc. Plus, the Farmer's Market, Concerts on the Square, the zoo, bike paths, the Union, State Street... I guess it just depends what you like.

The winters aren't that bad. It's usually about 5-10 degrees warmer than the Twin Cities and gets much less snow in general. I think frequently about moving somewhere "warm" but then think about the hot summers, hurricanes, and other drawbacks of some of those places.

Deerfield, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

To Leenie,

If you are having problems finding something to do, pick up a copy of the Isthmus. They are literally pages of things to do in the area.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking about moving to Madison

I cannot think of better city I would love to live in. Both of our children graduated UW-Madison. So, we know Madison very well and live about 85 miles from there. I would move there in a heartbeat. Our son still lives there. He worked for Eli Lilly in Indianapolis for 3 years, then wanted to move back to Madison and he got an even better job back there. Our daughter lives in Milwaukee and I think she misses Madison. I dearly love that city and the BADGERS!