We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose afternoon trip.

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Help me choose afternoon trip.

My hubby and I are arriving in Madison at noon on Friday and looking for some place to go. We have though about the House on the Rock, Little Norway, and New Glarus. Anyone have any other suggestions or comments on these three.

PS We are in our late 50s.

Thanks!!!

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
613 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me choose afternoon trip.

Do you like art museaums: the Ejilveim (?sp) is good. The capitol biulding is very interesting to see, there is a free tour of it.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
929 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me choose afternoon trip.

These are all excellent choices - the weather is supposed to be good, so far, and none of them have been effected by our recent flooding.

If you like art and ice cream, Paoli is on the way to New Glarus. Very nice shops there to poke around in, with no pressure to buy.

The hotel in New Glarus serves a great lunch or dinner on their porch overlooking the main street in town.

House on the Rock is overwhelming. Don't race through it - take your time. This guy gives the term packrat a whole new meaning!

And Little Norway is fun, too, if you like history and pageantry.

If you're here for the entire weekend, you can check out Spring Green, near House on the Rock, which has an outdoor Shakespeare theater, if you're so inclined.

Luckenbooth's is a restaurant in Arena owned buy a local guy and his Scottish wife. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but the food is to die for. Call the day before if you want lemon curd and real cream scones.

Allow time if you eat here, because the Missus loves to tell very funny, clean jokes!

Mount Horeb is a good town for shopping, and they have carved gnomes all along the main street for photo ops. The Grumpy Troll Brew Pub serves good food along with their excellent beer and ale selection.

That's probably enough to get you started. Ask more questions if this brings them to mind!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
936 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me choose afternoon trip.

From what you mentioned, I would do Little Norway. But my mom was born in Norway, so I am prejudiced! But I do love Little Norway. If you were to go that way, you could stop in Mt. Horeb and see the mustard museum and some other Scandanvian stores. You might also have time to make a visit to Mineral Point which is historic and has quite an artists' colony (Shakerag Alley). If you have more than one day, then I would add House on the Rock, simply because there is nothing else like it that I have ever heard about.

Before you go anywhere, please call ahead to check the roads or check on the internet. There have been problems in various parts of the state due to the heavy rains.

Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me choose afternoon trip.

Thanks everyone for your help. After looking at everything we have decided to go to the House on the Rock because it is something we will probably not see anywhere else. I'm not sure if we will do all the little museums or just the house but the house look amazing.

One more question. I love the idea of stopping at Luckenbooth's is that actually on our way on Highway 14. I mapquested it and that is what it looks like.

Thanks for the help.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
929 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me choose afternoon trip.

If you are driving on 14 west out of Madison, it is on the way that I would go!

You will come into Arena about 40 miles west of the Madison city limits. Once you are full and happy at Luckenbooth's, you can then travel west on Hwy 14 over the Wisconsin River, and then turn south on Hwy 23, which will take you to House on the Rock. You will drive through downtown Spring Green and cross the Wisconsin River again.

It's a little more than 8 miles from Spring Green to House on the Rock.

If you are interested in Frank Lloyd Wright, the architect, you can turn south on Hwy C between Arena and the river. The Frank Lloyd Wright Visitors Center will then be on your left just before you come to the intersection with Hwy 23 south, and Taliesen, his home and studio in this area, will be across Hwy 23.

There are decent restrooms at the Visitor's Center, by the way. This route will bypass downtown Spring Green, though, if that's a consideration.

I hope you have a great visit!

6. Re: Help me choose afternoon trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 01, 2009