We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking on Graduation weekend

Which Madison hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Parking on Graduation weekend

Graduation ceremony is Sunday, May 18th at 10 am. Am I going to have trouble finding a place to park?

Tell me that nearly everyone will have left campus by then.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
941 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

Is it at the Kohl Center? If so, there is a parking ramp right across the street and some of the lots that a reserved during the week are open on the weekends. I don't think you will have that much trouble.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

Are you overnighting in Madison or driving down early that morning?

If you're staying at a hotel, they will probably shuttle you to and from graduation, if you ask ahead of time.

But if you're driving in, tell us which building the ceremony is in, and we can help you decide where to park.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
941 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

There is an article in the paper today about graduation. I didn't realize that graduation is the same weekend that students move out of the dorms and several of those dorms are right by the Kohl Center. Here's what the paper says:

The university asks motorists who aren't involved in move-out or commencement to avoid driving in that area if possible during that time. Those attending commencment should find parking away from the Kohl Center. Complimentary shuttle bus service will be available between Union South and the Kohl Center. For more information visit secfac.wisc.edu/commence/ParkingHints.htm. University lots 88 and 91 will not be available for general commencement parking.

Hope that helps.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

As you've already figured out, graduation is at Kohl scenter,and is evidently general admission. We are staying at the Radisson on Saturday night because they did not have a two night minimum.

Thansk for all the help

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

If the Radisson is not shuttling you, there is a city ramp where I usually park when I go to the Kohl Center. Since it is not on campus, you can usually find parking there.

It is located next to the Federal Courthouse in the block between 300 W. Dayton and 300 W. Mifflin Streets (53703 is the zip code). Coming from the Radisson, you can turn left on Broom off West Washington and then turn right on one of these streets, or come up to Henry and turn left on either of these streets. You can also take a right on Henry off West Johnson, but NOT on Broom, it's a 1-way street.

You will then have a 4.5-block walk to the Kohl Center, which is on Dayton back toward the Radisson.

I wish you the best of luck - it is NOT a fun time to be driving around Madison.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

That sounds like a great plan, thanks, kimbobb.

But I have to ask: when is a good time to drive in Madison? Between the lakes, and the capital and the university, and the years of construction on East Washington, it can't ever be easy.

Thanks again.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
941 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

7:00 on Sunday mornings isn't too bad.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

I used to drive cab on the graveyard shift, and once the drunks were all home after bartime, the city was very pleasant until I checked in around 6 AM.

It's those peaceful hours that I transport myself to when I am driving in heavy traffic or a construction zone at rush hour.

It STILL beats New York City at any time of the day, hands down. At least people will let you cut in around Madison......without the worry of sidearms coming out.

AND we don't have any high bridges to fall into rivers, so that is helpful, too.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

That was out of line.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking on Graduation weekend

Sorry, you're right. My inner smartas* came out briefly, but I've swatted him and he's gone back into his cave.

I hope you have a splendid visit, and traffic woes are few.