We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Suggest Route from Glenwood Springs to Cortez

New England
Level Contributor
26 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Please Suggest Route from Glenwood Springs to Cortez

This is our first trip to CO. We'll be in Glenwood Springs for one night before heading south to Cortez. Looks like there are several routes we could take. What would you suggest that would be scenic .... without being the longest drive possible (since it looks like a long drive to begin with). Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,911 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Suggest Route from Glenwood Springs to Cortez

There are basically two primary choices - west into Utah and south through Moab, or heading south from Grand Junction via Montrose. Both are about the same time. A lot depends on your route after Cortez. The Colorado route will be more mountain driving, Utah route more desert. If you're NOT going to Moab after Cortez, do that route. If you're heading into Utah after Cortez, take the Colorado route.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,954 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Suggest Route from Glenwood Springs to Cortez

The most scenic route, IMO, is to go south to Redstone, then McClure Pass, then Delta to Montrose>Ridgway>Telluride>Rico>Dolores>Cortez. (Well, probably the most scenic would be to go from Montrose>Ouray>Silverton>Durango>Cortez, but the Telluride route is very nearly as beautiful and will be an easier drive.)

Going toward Grand Junction (Clifton exit, then to Hwy 50 to Delta> Montrose, etc.) would save some time because you'd have 4 lane highway most of the way until you get to Montrose. The drive from GJ to Delta isn't the most scenic drive because you're going through some barren looking desert-y terrain, but I like the drive because you get views of Grand Mesa to the east plus canyons and the Uncompahgre Plateau to the west.

Either way, you might have time for a quick stop at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison Natl Park just east of Montrose.

Mentioned in this post
Redstone
Redstone
Colorado
Delta
Delta
Colorado
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Ridgway
Ridgway
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Dolores
Dolores
Colorado
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Silverton
Silverton
Colorado
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Clifton
Clifton
Colorado
New England
Level Contributor
26 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Suggest Route from Glenwood Springs to Cortez

This is great advice. Many thanks. So I'm thinking this (looking at my AAA map): from GS south on 82 to 133. Then west on 92 to Delta. Then south to Montrose. Stop. Have lunch and take a side trip (east on 50 to 347) to BCGunnison Park. Then retrace route back to Montrose. Route 550 to Ridgeway. 62 through 'Dallas Divide.' Then get on 145 to Telluride. Get an ice cream. Then 145 all the way down to Dolores. Then to Cortez. Do I have this right?

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Delta
Delta
Colorado
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Dolores
Dolores
Colorado
New England
Level Contributor
26 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Suggest Route from Glenwood Springs to Cortez

Many thanks for your reply. I forgot to say that I was looking at the mountain routes, since we will be heading North through Moab on the return. Thanks again.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,954 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Suggest Route from Glenwood Springs to Cortez

Your route looks just right!

You may want to stop for "provisions" at the Russell Stover Candy Factory Outlet in Montrose...just sayin'...

Or you might want to plug 802 Main, Delta, into your GPS if your drive is Tues-Fri or Saturday before 1:00. You'll be driving right past Kennell's Valley View Bakery where they have wonderful baked goods.

Mentioned in this post
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Delta
Delta
Colorado
Reply to: Please Suggest Route from Glenwood Springs to Cortez
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted