We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't climb, can't crawl, is Mesa Verde worth it?

Which Cortez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
110 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Can't climb, can't crawl, is Mesa Verde worth it?

Hi I'm considering a one-day or part-day visit to Mesa Verde in the next week or two. My old arthritic knees will not be able to climb the ladders or crawl through the low rooms. Is it possible to get a good view of the cliff houses from "ground level"? I will be in southwestern CO anyway, plus no cost to enter the park since I have a national parks senior pass. Just wondering if I would get enough out of it to warrant the drive. Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't climb, can't crawl, is Mesa Verde worth it?

I think you would see enough to be worthwhile. The visitor center will help you get the most out of your visit. You might also look into the Anasazi Heritage museum in Dolores and Chimney Rock between Pagosa Springs and Durango.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't climb, can't crawl, is Mesa Verde worth it?

Yes, I think it would be worthwhile, esp. since you have a parks pass.

Here's a similar question and some more info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60900-i3111-k4314…

Edited: 1:36 pm, September 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't climb, can't crawl, is Mesa Verde worth it?

Definitely, the descriptions of the physical requirements are a little overstated, but you could easily do Spruce Tree and Cliff House, Balcony House is more difficult and does require ladders and tunnels. Of course you may have already been there and back or not now that I notice the original post was September

Colorado
Level Contributor
110 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't climb, can't crawl, is Mesa Verde worth it?

Haven't done it yet! I was on my way there and it started snowing like crazy and zero visibility so I canceled. Will probably do it in the spring, thanks for the advice.

Reply to: Can't climb, can't crawl, is Mesa Verde worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted