We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

We will be coming from the Dallas area to Hot Springs for a short spring break trip. We are getting in on Friday night and leaving Tuesday afternoon. We will have three full days (Sat - Mon) for sightseeing. The following places and tentative dates are on our list.

Mid America Science Museum - Saturday and Theater of Magic (Saturday Night)

Garvan Gardens - Sunday

Diamond Crater State Park - Monday (Son is looking forward to this and hoping for a big find :-).

I know it varies from person to person but will the Museum take a full day? Should we make reservations for the Magic Show?

We are open to any other suggestions for must do's and restaurant suggestions. Is Funtrackers mostly for younger children?

I know Diamond Crater is back on our way home but I think we prefer to come back to the hotel

and clean up and spend some more time in Hot Springs.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

Mid-America is only a half day, not a whole day, but real fun - Be sure and double check when they are closing for a remodel. I think not till later this year. Get a copy of the magazine at the downtown tourism office for discounts to all the places you are going. Really don't know if you need reservations for magic show - I doubt it, but call them and check for sure. I understand why your son is excited about the diamond mine, but do him a huge favor and arrange to go on a crystal mining expedition on the same trip. It is lots of fun and you are guaranteed to leave with some beautiful finds (unlike the diamond mine). Reserve an expedition with Wegner's at Mt Ida or one of the Colemans in Jessieville. The water will be too cold for tubing, but that's the other thing my kids love in HS - you could still rent a boat on Lake Hamilton and cruise around if it is a sunny day. Be SURE and take OLD clothes and shoes to both the diamond mine and the crystal mine and if it's been raining, take garbage bags to put all the clothes in afterwards!! Can be real muddy! As far as restaurants, without knowing your tastes I wouldn't know what to suggest. Maybe others will have suggestions. If you are there on a Sunday, my kids have always likd the Arlington Hotel buffet brunch, particularly their donut station where they make donuts to your specifications while you wait.

Have a great time!

www.wegnercrystalmines.com

www.colemanquartz.com

www.jimcolemancrystals.com

www.kahunabay.com

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

Thank you!!! Very good information. We like Italian (good pasta) and seafood. I love fried catfish. We may do the brunch at the Arlington Hotel since we will be there on Sunday.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

I'm going to let someone else tackle the best Italian and best fried catfish in HS. My fav Italian place, Belle Arti, in a downtown historic building, has very mixed reviews, so there are obviously some consistency issues and I'd hate to mislead. I usually just have a simple pasta pomodora with their complimentary olive tamenade and bread, and I wish I had a plate in front of me right now, I like it so much. I have not been to Luna Bella which is currently the HS number one restaurant on Tripadvisor.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

Grandpa's has changed hands and is now the Salty Oyster Grill but is supposed to still have that yummy catfish.

We've never tried any Italian in HS. Too many other favorites.

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

I agree with Jimjade...Belle Arti for Italian...or Rocky's for more casual..many like The Italian Villa, also

For catfish, you might like Fisherman's Wharf or K.J.'s Grill daily fish special.

Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

I had always wanted to go to Crater of Diamonds State Park to look for diamonds, but overall found it to be a disappointment. We had a lot more fun at Ron Coleman Quartz and Crystal Mining at Jessieville (near Hot Springs). Many of the diamonds at Crater of Diamonds -- which are rare to find in the first place -- are brownish in color and difficult to distinguish for unexperienced diggers, so your chance of success there is really small. However, at the crystal mines, you WILL get crystals - 100% guaranteed.

We visited Crater of Diamonds a second time to see if we had not given it a fair try, but the second time was no different from the first. We did pick out a few very small crystals, but no diamonds.

For us, digging for crystals instead is a "no brainer." We have been to dig for crystals at the Ron Coleman mine three times now and can't wait to go back.

NOTE: take old clothes and shoes that you don't mind throwing away. If it has rained at all recently, the red clay can really stain clothes and shoes. But more crystals are revealed after a rain, so it's a trade-off. Old clothes vs crystals -- crystals for sure! I also suggest taking a 5 gallon bucket and some newspaper so you can wrap your nicest crystals to prevent point damage.

Edited: 1:24 pm, March 06, 2014
Fort Worth
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

Curious how your trip panned out. We are going in June with three kids and I was looking at your itinerary. Is there anything you wish you hadn't done or something your son really enjoyed?

8. Re: Help with upcoming trip with 10 year old son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 24, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs