We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hot springs recommendations?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
454 reviews
Save Topic
hot springs recommendations?

going to hot springs in sept - what should we do to see the mineral baths/hot springs ? who do we call to reserve and what is recommended? 4 ladies in late 30s.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hot springs recommendations?

I have very little first hand experience with spas, massages etc , but I have toured each of three major mineral bath options in Hot Springs offering water directly piped from the earth, and have spoken to customers and employees. The three are all in interesting historic properties. Two are in stand-alone handsome historic buildings originally designed for mineral bathing and related services almost a century ago. Both are along Central Avenue in historic Bath House Row. The Buckstaff www.buckstaffbaths.com has continually operated and is very much the same as when Capone took the baths in the 1930's. It is licensed and inspected by the National Parks Service so "old" and "original" does not mean uncared for. The Quapaw www.quapawbaths.com dates back historically just as the Buckstaff, but was closed for many years and was reopened about three years ago after a multi-million dollar renovation. The architectural beauty has been restored and new features have been added. The third major mineral bath operation is in the historic Arlington Hotel. The Arlington www.arlingtonhotel.com had been the showplace of the City for many decades. As you can tell from reviews on this site, the grand old place is failing to satisfy many of its current customers. I keep hoping for a turnaround at the Arlington so I can heartily recommend it again. The bath house remains generally popular to the best of my knowledge.

If I were choosing, I would go to the Quapaw due to its recent capital improvement. However, I understand that a massage/spa experience is much dependent on the service and skill of the staff and I am afraid I cannot help with that. Perhaps others will help with that on this site. I have a friend who has worked at the Arlington and I got the impression from her that some therapists have moved around among the various facilities in town.

I have read of people disappointed that they could not get into their desired location at the time they wished, so I recommend you make advance reservations wherever you decide to go.

There are several other “spas” in town which have good reputations but some of these facilities are not connected to the Hot Springs mineral waters. One such spa is at the Embassy Suites Hotel where you may be staying. Be sure and consider this detail as you make your plans and reservations. While the “healing powers” of the water have been long debated, it is a unique to be able to experience waters piped directly from underground hot springs.

Mentioned in this post
Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hot springs recommendations?

I've been to the Buckstaff and Quapaw spas.

The Buckstaff is the traditional spa experience...as in traditional turn of the century bathing. You'll get to experience all the different spa methods and end with a 30 minute massage. I was so relaxed. The traditional spa package is a lot for your money. It's first come first serve. I recommend showing up 30 minutes before they open. I've been three times.

The Quapaw open recently. It's more modern in style and spa services. There's a huge pool with different levels with different temperatures. I believe they take appointments. My brother got a deep tissue massage and he said it was one of the best ones he had. I've been to this once, because it's fairly new.

I've never been to the Arlington Hotel, but know a lot of people who went to it and they enjoyed their relaxing time.

If you can, try to visiting both bathhouses. If I had to choose one....that's a hard one. I suggest touring the Fordyce Bath House, before you had to choose just one. It's free and is meant for people to walk around and see all the spa stuff and the history of Hot Springs. Buckstaff is setup like Fordyce. Quapaw is modern. It all depends your preference.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hot springs recommendations?

Thanks to both of you for such informative responses....huge help!

4. Re: hot springs recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 21, 2012