We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

Hi there - We will be visiting Hot Springs Arkansas mid-March if the weather is good. Can anyone offer their opinions on the best quartz mine for a family of three? We have done some research but would like to get more opinions. Thank you!

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

How about skipping the quartz and heading straight to a girl's best friend--diamonds?? Crater of Diamonds State Park is ~50-60 miles from Hot Springs. Pack a picnic lunch and make a day of it.

little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

Here is the best advice I can provide regarding crystal mines. The two most well known crystal operations are Coleman's in Jessieville and Wegner's in Mt Ida. There are others which are probably very good but these are the two which most people know about the most. They are longtime and respected operations. Both are family friendly. Colemans is a little closer to HS in Jessieville, and easier to get to; but Wegner's is within an hour drive and it is a very pleasant and scenic drive to Mt Ida. Both are roughly the same price and both will make sure you go home with crystals. Neither will guarantee your clothes will not get stained with red clay so wear old clothes!!

The difference will be in the general philosophy you might say, and the general appearance. Coleman's might appear a little more professional with a very nice gift shop and presentation. There is nothing wrong with Wegner's, be certain, but the physical plant may not impress you as much as Coleman. Coleman's will explain the industrial uses of quartz crystal and Wegner's will as well; however, Wegner's also adds a dimension in their perspective which is interesting - the long holistic interest in the healing power of crystals. Don't get me wrong. Wegner is not cultish or strange, quite the contrary - they are professional but just add a dimension to the aura of the crystal.

Perhaps this will give you some ways to compare the two places. I think you will have a great time in either...and the basic difference between crystal and diamond mining is that you will come home with more than dirty clothes from the crystal mine!

Have a great time in the Hot Springs area. Let us know which mine you chose and how your experience was.

Edited: 12:07 pm, March 09, 2011
little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

I was informed that there is more than one Coleman quartz mine. The following is the operation I am familiar with. Also below is the contact info for the Wegner mine in Mt Ida.

Ron Coleman Mining, Inc.

Welcome to the Ron Coleman Mining Website ... colemanquartz@gmail.com. 211 Crystal Ridge Lane, Jessieville, AR 71949 P.O. Box 8219,Hot Springs, AR 71910.

www.colemanquartz.com

Wegner's Quartz Crystal Mines in Mount Ida, AR

Wegner Crystal Mines in Mt, Ida, AR: product and contact information.

www.wegnercrystalmines.com/ - Cached - Similar

Dig_Your_Own

Virtual Tour

Maps

About_Us

Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

Thank you everyone. Jimjade3 - thank you for such detailed help. We will let you know how it goes.

Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

We ended up choosing Wegner's and did their two hour mine trip. The highlight of the visit for our seven year old was the trip up the hill to the mine in the back of a pickup truck. Lot's of bouncing with the owner's friendly dogs chasing us all the way up the hill. They dropped us off with a cell phone and a fist aid kit and our small group of about 15 had the hill to ourselves for two hours.

We found so many crystals - on the ground and under the surface. Our son had a blast "mining" and we had a great time looking for treasure. My husband and I probably could have stayed all day, but two hours was perfect for our son.

little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

Thank you for the great trip report. This will be useful for others in the future.

Texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

Thank you again for your help Jimjade3!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

Thanks for all the detailed info! I can't wait until we get down that way.

9. Re: Best Quartz Mine for a Small Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, October 19, 2012