We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November weekend trip with kids

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sugar Land
Level Contributor
187 posts
383 reviews
Save Topic
November weekend trip with kids

We'll be staying at a Five points cabin for two nights on our way up to Chicago from TX the weekend before Thanksgiving. Our four kids ages 8-13 like to hike & be outdoors. We're thinking of visiting a crystal mine & viewing the holiday lights at a garden. Our kids would like to go horseback riding. Do y'all have any horseback riding, crystal mine or hiking recommendations? Has anyone had the Phantom Ranch horseback ride & steak dinner? Will it be too late to see fall foliage? Is it worth taking the kids to the Hot springs to take a dip?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November weekend trip with kids

Five Points will be an interesting diversion from cookie cutter motels. The kids should have fun there.

My kids have always liked the Mid-America Museum. You miught check out the website: www.midamericamuseum.org

You can't really "take a dip" in the Hot Springs. The best place to view the springs (and you can sort of wade in it there but I think there are signs saying not to) is in the park across from the Arlington Hotel in downtown HS. It's fun to take the kids down there. Behind the bath houses is a long brick promenade you can access from the park described above. Off the promenade are trails which lead up the hill and eventually to an observation tower. That might be a good place to hike.

I have only been to one crystal mine. Most people like them. Here is a post of a couple years back which offers some sources:

Arrowhead Crystal Mine in Mt Ida has some really good reviews. As does Gee and Dee Crystal in Story, Sweet Surrender, Fiddler's Ridge, Wegner's and Coleman's which is in Jessieville. You can find addresses and some tips at these sites:

www.arkansas.com/things-to-do/crystal-hunting

www.mtidachamber.com/yp_crystals.htm

www.arcrystalmine.com/info.php?content=dig

www.rockhoundingar.com/quartz.html

Helpful things:

5 gallon bucket

garden trowel

hand-held three pronged rake

gloves

plastic or boxes to take your crystals home

pry bar - if you really want to get serious

old clothing/shoes- red clay seriously stains

Happy hunting!

Sugar Land
Level Contributor
187 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November weekend trip with kids

thanks so much for the crystal mining advice! I will pack appropriately. Also I think the Hot spring hike/walk you mentioned will work great! I'm actually relieved that you're not supposed to 'take a dip." I just didn't want to get there & have my kids be the only ones not in the water.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November weekend trip with kids

You mentioned you plan to go see the holiday lights at a garden (I assume you mean Garvan Woodland Gardens). I just wanted to say you will love it. I took my 11 yo daughter last year and it was great. I suggest getting there in the afternoon so you can enjoy all the gardens have to offer in the daylight. Then hang out for a little while until it gets dark and enjoy the lights display. We did it that way and I was very glad. There is lots to explore there.

Have fun!

Sugar Land
Level Contributor
187 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November weekend trip with kids

thanks for the heads up about visiting the gardens early! we will try to do that.

5. Re: November weekend trip with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:53 am, April 26, 2011