We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do I need a car?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
do I need a car?

I will be staying at Embassy suites in Hot Springs on business with my spouse 10/9/09-10/11/09. I would like to see some of the sights around town. Is there plenty of public transportation or should I rent a car? I may just drive my car the 450 miles, and save $400 on airfare. Any suggestions?

texarkana, tx
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: do I need a car?

You can take the loop around Texarkana and miss the construction on I30. Not sure if the sign will say Shreveport or Little Rock on 59...probably Shreveport, then you will branch off towards Little Rock. Jefferson will be about 5 or so hours from Houston, so good for a lunch stop and a stretch your legs walk around downtown. We like the Riverport BBQ just down from the courthouse on the main drag. Then there is a good hamburger place, I think it's called the Pie House or something(everyone in town knows it by that anyway). There is a bar and grill downtown across from the courthouse, Auntie Skinners, and the food was good, but kind of a long wait. And on the weekends it's full of biker's and loud music which is cool, but makes for an extra long wait for food. Anyway, Jefferson could be an interesting stop on your way to Hot Springs. We just had a weekend up there and it was great. We rode the duck boat, did the museum tours and all the touristy things we had never done before and it was great! Have fun!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: do I need a car?

This is so cool how we can help each other like this! I really appreciate all your informative comments and suggestions!

texarkana, tx
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: do I need a car?

I know! I love trip advisor! I go back and read the posts months back and find lots of great stuff.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: do I need a car?

We just drove up 59 then to I-30 from Lufkin, TX back home to Arkansas today. We took the loop around Texarkana. There is a sign saying Little Rock. There were no problems/delays. Of course, it had been raining in the area.

Definitely, do the Garvan Gardens visit. You can also drive to Lake Ouachita State Park Visitor Center at Mountain Pine and rent a canoe, kayak and etc... at the marina there.

15. Re: do I need a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 12, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs