We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crystal mining in July/Aug

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Crystal mining in July/Aug

Family of 4, with 2 teens, we are thinking about going to Hot Springs at the end of July, or first part of August for a 3 day weekend. One day we would like to go crystal mining. Are we crazy to do this in the heat of the summer? Has anyone gone recently and which mine(s) do you most recommend. We are thinking of the Clarion hotel because it is right on the lake. Any other suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Missouri, USA
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crystal mining in July/Aug

We went last year at about the same time. Yes, it was very hot but we had a good time nonetheless. We went to the Mt. Ida area but I can not remember the exact mine. If you do decide to go be sure to take plenty of water along as some of the mines are out in the boondocks.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crystal mining in July/Aug

I agree with the previous poster. It will be hot but you should have a good time crystal mining and unlike the diamond mine, you will return with plenty of sparkling minerals.

I like renting a condo on the Hot Springs lakes for my family. At times I have gotten them for not much more than a hotel room and you get a kitchen and lots of relaxing space, pool etc., but I had trouble finding a reasonably priced available unit in late June with only a few days notice. I've rented condos in the past from http://www.arkansascondos.com/

If you can swing it financially, (and it's not cheap), consider renting a ski platform from Kahuna Bay boat rentals. We rented one for a half day for my kid's birthday and found it an amazing boat. It looks like a fancy pontoon/party barge but it tears out across the water and is great fun for tubing or skiing. They just bought a bunch of these from a company Warren Buffett owns and they steer with one finger. Be sure and reserve in advance.

You might check out the gangster museum in downtown HS for something different. It sounds like a tourist trap but I was pretty impressed. The teens might get a kick out of it. www.tgmoa.com

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crystal mining in July/Aug

Thank you both for the great info. I feel more inspired to give it a shot even though it'll be so hot. It sure sounds like fun.

Do you have any special tips on what to bring while mining for chrystals? I've read on some of the mining pages to bring gloves and buckets. Besides those and water, is there anything you'd take with you next time? Something to kneel on perhaps? Would you wear long pants to protect your knees, or would that be too hot?

Thanks again!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crystal mining in July/Aug

As you have probably noticed, some of the mines offer tools for loan and others sell them. Some suggest you bring a screw driver, hammer, and possibly a steel crowbar type tool. Others don't let you near the mines at all and have you go through their piles of dirt. The Mt Ida Chamber website is pretty inclusive, if you have not already looked it over. I've been to Coleman's long ago - it's one of the oldest places. Some of the new smaller guys look interesting and I'd like to try them.

http://www.mtidachamber.com/

5. Re: Crystal mining in July/Aug

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 05, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs
Recent Conversations