We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping, canoeing and just general fun.

Level Contributor
137 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Camping, canoeing and just general fun.

My husband and I will be travelling in August to visit my parents who just moved to Hot Springs Village. We will be staying with them a couple of nights but would also like recommendations on some good camping & and canoeing nearby. We are already driving from Kentucky so we would rather not drive too far from Hot Springs Village for our camping side trip. (maybe 1 hour or so at most). We will have a small dog who enjoys participating in outdoor activities with us like hiking, canoeing, etc. Any suggestions on good campgrounds/watersports outfitters nearby who will allow our dog to camp & canoe with us?

Also, any suggestions on a nice restaurant in Hot Springs village or surrounding area for my husband & I to have a nice dinner? It will be our first wedding anniversary while we are there.

Thanks in advance!

Arkansas Riding Stables
Horseback Riding Tours
Adventureworks Hot Springs
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Xtreme Strike Guide Service
Fishing Charters & Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping, canoeing and just general fun.

Contact Rick Brumley at Two Rivers Canoe Rental. www.tworiverscanoerental.com Rick rents canoes and tubes on the Caddo and Ouachita Rivers. It's a little outside your one hour driving range, but I believe it is the closest place for this activity. He can outfit and shuttle you, and he says there should be water levels which will permit canoeing, unlike most Arkansas streams. The closest campground to him is probably Lake DeGray State Park. His email address on the website may be having problems. If so he suggests trying him at reakbrum@alltel.net His phones are 870-403-3682 and 870-366-4251. My favorite Hot Springs restaurant is Belle Arti but there are several nice places there. If you make reservations at Belle Arti, ask them when their piano player is there. He's good and adds a nice touch to the dinner.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping, canoeing and just general fun.

If you don't mind sticking to lakes, Lake Catherine has a marina that rents boats, barges, paddleboats, canoes and kayaks: arkansasstateparks.com/park-finder/… Marina at 1200 Catherine Park Rd, H.S., AR 501-844-4176

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping, canoeing and just general fun.

camping info at Lake Catherine can be found at: arkansasstateparks.com/park-finder/…

For an idea of the restaurants in Hot Springs: www.hotsprings.org/restaurants

Arkansas
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping, canoeing and just general fun.

There is camping on the North side of Lake Ouachita just down the road from Hot Springs Village. Not sure what kind of camping you prefer...the Buckville site doesn't have many amenities. Lena Landing has more, plus a marina nearby. The best way to enjoy Lake Ouachita is with a power boat, which you can rent if so inclined. Or you can rent a canoe and paddle out to one of the many islands for a day's picnic. Here is a list of the available campsites on Lake Ouachita- …army.mil/Lakes/lakeouachita/main.php…

Level Contributor
137 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping, canoeing and just general fun.

Thanks so much!

6. Re: Camping, canoeing and just general fun.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 01, 2009