We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Hot Springs

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Hot Springs

I'm going to be attending a family reunion at Lake DeGray in late June and I'm thinking about "escaping" to Hot Springs for a day. I've never been before so I would love some suggestions on what to do to make the most of my day trip to Hot Springs.

Thanks.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Hot Springs

DeGray Lodge and lake is a pretty nice setting and once there you may reconsider "escaping" to Hot Springs. The unique thing about Hot Springs is obviously, the springs themselves. I would head to "Bath House Row" where you will find the historic Bath Houses, of which only three will be open. The rest are shuttered, awaiting alternative use and restoration - but they are still very attractive. If history is of interest, you should definitely take a tour of the fully restored Fordyce Bath House. If you want to sample the baths themselves, the Buckstaff has continued operation and has the old style big tubs and treatments. The Quapaw is reopening in later June after a huge infusion of cash and there is much excitement about this restoration. No one knows exactly what the experience will be, though the literature shows indoor swimming pools with the hot mineral springs directly piped in, massages etc. If you like to walk, take the "grand promenade" which runs behind the bath houses and take a look in the grand old (slightly faded) Arlington Hotel. Take a couple of plastic containers and fill them up with the free spring water as it emerges from the ground through fountains near the bath houses. There are shops and cafes and art galleries and antique stores across from and down Central Avenue within walking distance of the bathhouses. As much as I like Hot Springs, Austin has many equivalent or better of such amenities. 1217 (1217 Malvern Avenue) for healthy lunches or Bill Clinton's favorite McClard's for barbeque would be my lunch suggestions. There are gardens and museums and lakes and amusement parks, but the hot springs themselves and their associated parks and historic architecture are in my view what the place is about.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Hot Springs

Take a drive up to the mountain tower. www.hotspringsar.com/info/tower/tower.htm

If you like a nice walk in a peaceful garden area, there's www.garvangardens.org

There are several shows, horseback riding, many art galleries and shops. A wine shop where you can do tastings for a fee. Some hiking - www.nps.gov/hosp

A few sites for more info: www.hotsprings.org www.hotspringschamber.com www.hotspringsar.com

Rocky's Corner, across from Oaklawn Park, has really good pizza.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Hot Springs

Thanks to both of you for the great suggestions. Now I can make the best of my day trip to Hot Springs instead of wondering aimlessly. While I like Lake DeGray Lodge we have been there so many times and I've never ventured up to Hot Springs, so I think this is going to be the year. Thanks again.

4. Re: Day trip to Hot Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs
Recent Conversations