We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
117 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

Hi ..

Can anyone please recommend few "good" hotels in Nuwara Eliya? I'm visiting with a friend end of Oct & we'll be staying for only ONE night .. We'd like to stay in a hotel that is not very far from stores, restaurants & stuff like that .. We don't mind walking for 15-20 minutes or even taking a tuktuk for such duration to reach somewhere .. We know some of the touristic areas could be a bit far, that's alright .. Plus, we prefer to pay nearly $150 (or a bit less) for ONE night with breakfast ..

We have actually looked for hotels on tripadvisor, but reviews are making us a bit confused! We're not really looking for something fancy.. Just nice, clean & comfy ..

Thanks alot!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,749 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

Hi again,

St. Andrews keeps on standing out for us. Reviews are mixed but we still feel that many reviewers stay only there in Eliya and would have reviewed almost any Eliya hotel similarly negative - with aspects like 'old building' and 'freezing cold corridors' shared by almost all Eliya hotels. We at least favour it strongly over Grand, Hill Club and worst-of-all Windsor and Silver Falls.

But most other hotels are also central enough except The Tea Factory and Silver Falls, so feel free to look at others too.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

Some minutes from downtown near

golf course on 6.979586 80.762863

Remarko Rest

St. Andrew Drive No. 9

Nuwara Eliya

Tel. 0094-52-2223174

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
117 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

Thank you for your replies!

Erik & Sandya, I count on your recommondation for St. Andrews :)

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

Nuwara Eliya was the colonial hill station in SL and that is its appeal - and I know it does not appeal at all to many - so hotels reflect that. All are rather dated and somewhat theatrical but for me that is their charm. I love the perfect awfulness of the Hill Club myself but it is an acquired taste, I know and appeals to my British sense of humour. St. Andrew's is a safe choice for sure.

David.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,749 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

Agree, you need to have quite some appreciation for Britishness (esp. that of the 19th century) to like Hill Club. As entertainment we liked it, not as value for money to Eliya standards ;-)

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS And to add a real life story about this (in)famous establishment, don't think we've posted it before here: as most will know, they require tie & jackets for gents for dinner and something similarly formal for ladies. And have some spare jackets in various sizes for lending if the visitor did not bring. A local wealthy couple wanted to visit a dinner (April, peak time), had reservations for their table, but were tieless; staff told them that unfortunately they had run out of spare ties and turned them down. Behind the desk there were some ties waiting, so it sounded suspicious (yes, tourists might get discriminated pricewise but locals sometimes for seats etc. in touristy places).

45 mins later the couple returned. She as well-dressed as before, he with his own (borrowed) jacket and tie - and in underpants only.

The staff had no choice to let them in, because there was no formal rule about trousers. Their ridiculing of the overzealous adherence to the rules was appreciated at least by some fellow locals ;-)

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

Love that story Erik and it could only happen at the Hill Club and adds to its not to be missed ridiculousness, just makes it all the more appealing for me. Getting into those ill fitting loan jackets and hideously unmatching ties is simply wonderful, I feel like I am taking part in an amateur dramatics production of Charlie's Aunt whenever I go there. Long may it last but I fear its days may be numbered with all the refurbishment going on. My advice is go whilst you can, once it has gone you will never find it again.

David.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
117 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

David & Erik, thank you so much for the replies & the funny story! :D

Seems like I went for the safe option & booked our one night in Eliya at St. Andrews :) .. Looking forward for my trip!

8. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 am, August 03, 2012
9. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, August 09, 2012
Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels Tips in Nuwara Eliya

Best B&B In Nuwara Eliya Mount View Cottage www.mountviewcottages.com