We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nurawa Eliya - Ella - Hambantota or NE - Ella - Matara

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nurawa Eliya - Ella - Hambantota or NE - Ella - Matara

Hi,

I am travelling from NE to the south.

1. I here the train from NE - Ella is scenic, is this my best option to travel and how long by train.

1. Are there direct buses from Ella - Hambantota or Matara? How much is the fare? How long is the travel?

2. Are there direct buses or trains from NE - Hambantota. What is the fare and travel hours?

Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,199 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nurawa Eliya - Ella - Hambantota or NE - Ella - Matara

Hi there,

See www.railway.gov.lk for train times and routes. As you'll see, nothing at all from Ella to Hambantota and no chance of building something until Lanka would get 1st world (Swiss-like) wealth as you'll understand once you see the stunningly beautiful Ella gap.

So answers are

1a. See timetable, 2 daytime trains both in afternoon (use Nanu Oya station for NE).

1b. Both, but far more to Hambantota. To Matara only a few leaving in the morning (later on you need to transfer in Hambantota). Ella-H is 4 hours and Ella-Matara is 5-6 hours.

2. Yes, to Hambantota - but again only a few, later on you need to transfer in Bandarawela or Ella or Wellawaya. NE-Hambantota is 6 hours.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kuala Lumpur...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nurawa Eliya - Ella - Hambantota or NE - Ella - Matara

Thanks Erik for the help. much appreciated.

will update on my progress when we get back.

3. Re: Nurawa Eliya - Ella - Hambantota or NE - Ella - Matara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, November 21, 2012