We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea plane transfer

wexford
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sea plane transfer

So as i am aware the luggage Limit is 20kgs on the transfer plane. Does anybody know if you are ok to bring 'carry on luggage' also

Also what time is the first flight out of kuramathi back to the airport in the morning?

Thanks for the help

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea plane transfer

Hi

You can have 5 kilos of hand luggage as well as the 20k. The first flight will be when required to catch your flight sometime after first light which is about 6.30am. The seaplanes do not run to schedules

Regards

Doug

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea plane transfer

The total per couple is 50kg. They take the weight of your cases and hand luggage together.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea plane transfer

re carry on luggage - it needs to be quite small, like a back pack or tote bag, that will fit on your lap. If its much bigger they will put it in the hold, espedially if it has wheels. I'm not sure if they include the weight in your total baggage allowance as I travel light.

On timings, I know they leave pretty early if guests have an early flight, and they give you a wake up call. Friends of ours have left at like 6am before.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea plane transfer

We have flown out of nearby (relatively) Ellaidhoo at 6.30am for a morning flight.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea plane transfer

Hi

The 'hold' referred to is actually the back of the seaplane sometimes even the last couple of seats

Regards

Doug

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea plane transfer

And yes your hand luggage is weighed with your cases before you go round to the seaplane terminals. For most resorts the limit is 50kg per couple. They will let you have your hand luggage back - unless it has wheels (like a small case, trolley bag etc). If you still have hand luggage at the seaplane they will take it from you as you enter the plane to store at the back. That just leaves small handbags, cameras etc for on your knee.

Skeggy in UK
Level Contributor
533 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea plane transfer

Just to echo other posts, we arrived in Athuruga last Sunday and with my dive gear, our total came to around 56kg plus hand luggage, which we put in hold as too big to cling onto on seaplane. Total cost came to just under £30 return for the excess, which I was well happy with. Have never felt "ripped off" by them so don't worry. Also, if you fly Emirates, register for the free loyalty scheme (blue card status) and Skywards (both same but when you get your loyalty scheme number, you can register for Skywards) because whilst most of us will never accumulate enough sky miles to get good seat upgrades, you get a free, no quibble 30kg each for luggage, which they also aggregate. I have also been told by others that even if you still exceed 60kg between you, if one bag is purely for watersports etc and you ring them before flying, that you may still avoid excess luggage charges.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea plane transfer

Jolly - can you remember the price in USD per kg of excess weight? (Need it for the FAQs)

9. Re: Sea plane transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 20, 2014