We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuramathi House Reef

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Kuramathi House Reef

Hi,

My husband and I are considering booking Kuramathi for a holiday next March. My only real doubt about booking the resort is what I've read so far about the house reef. Some comments I've read say it's great and others that it is not good at all. I'd therefore be grateful for any opinions on which it is, particularly from people who have snorkeled Kuramathi and (an)other resorts in the Maldives.

We've stayed at Kuredu and Reethi before and would be happy if the snorkeling was of a similar standard to those. We are particularly keen to see big things whilst snorkeling - sharks, eagle rays, manta rays etc. Can you see those on the Kuramathi house reef?

Thanks very much in advance,

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,200 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuramathi House Reef

Hi

I have been to kuredu and would say the snorkeling is ok for a first timer but the reef is poor ,I spend a lot of time in the forum and I am under the impression that the snorkeling and reef is quite good on kuramathi I think it's kuramathis size that worries people .

Good luck

Darryl

Edited: 11:20 am, October 05, 2013
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuramathi House Reef

The reef is very good, with large table corals but you have to get the rights area. It is on the reef side, which is the left side of the island as you go from the wide end of the island towards the sand bank end. Best area is between the wide end of the island towards the water villas.

Edited: 12:00 pm, October 05, 2013
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuramathi House Reef

We had 6 full days at Kuramathi last Easter, the house reef was amazing we were in the jacuzzi water villas and saw turtles off our decks along with sharks and rays swimming past. Best place was around channel 5 where there is plenty of table coral. You won't be disappointed. Yes the reef is big but then you have more to see. On one occasion we saw Great Maori Wrasse they are massive. We saw turtles at least 5 times. I would return in a heart beat. If you book but can't afford the JWV don't feel bad about snorkeling in front of them as we saw the most fish there.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuramathi House Reef

We had 6 full days at Kuramathi last Easter, the house reef was amazing we were in the jacuzzi water villas and saw turtles off our decks along with sharks and rays swimming past. Best place was around channel 5 where there is plenty of table coral. You won't be disappointed. Yes the reef is big but then you have more to see. On one occasion we saw Great Maori Wrasse they are massive. We saw turtles at least 5 times. I would return in a heart beat. If you book but can't afford the JWV don't feel bad about snorkeling in front of them as we saw the most fish there. Mantas were seen the day after we left, they are not common on the house reef but can be seen sometimes on the snorkelling boat trip. We saw eagle rays everyday one morning two were at the end of our Channel 4 swimming back and forth at the drop off for 3 hours.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuramathi House Reef

Abundance of sharks, but i haven't been to the 2 islands you mentioned so can't provide a comparison.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
949 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuramathi House Reef

Hi,

We have been to Kuredu and Kuramathi. The corals were more impressive at Kuramathi and not in such deep water, therefore you could see more without diving down. We saw more sharks at Kuramathi, but more turtles at Kuredu, and even a manta out near the ship wreck in very deep water.

The reef at Kuramathi does not extend around the island, so you may have to walk round to get to it then you swim through marked channels to swim along, if the sea is rough it's more difficult. however, it is easier to access than at Kuredu. The highlight for me at Kuramathi was the number of sweetlips I saw.

In summary, I would say the reef is quite a bit better at Kuramathi, than at Kuredu. Hope that has helped a bit.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuramathi House Reef

Hi - I've been to Reethi once and Kuramathi twice & would say the reef at Kura is much more interesting.

There is far more to see in terms of the 'big stuff' at Kura - there is an abundance of Sharks which were lacking at Reethi.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuramathi House Reef

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies. The Kuramathi reef sounds much better than I expected and I really hope we get the chance to visit!

9. Re: Kuramathi House Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 09, 2014