We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Spiders

We are off to kuramathi in November and have been reading all the recent reviews, the latest one has scared me with a mention of a huge spider in the outside shower of a beach villa, can anyone put my mind at rest, I'm terrified of spiders and didn't think they were much of a problem in the Maldives. We have booked a beach villa but I am wondering whether I should be trying to change it to an accomodation type with an indoor bathroom?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spiders

they do exist and if you encounter one , it could be indoors just as well as outside . don't deprive yourself of the outdoors bathroom . these are awesome ! chances of meeting a spider are slim

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spiders

I too am terrified of spiders so I understand. In 3 visits to the Maldives I have only encountered 1 big spider. Unfortunately it was in our room.

We were told to keep the air conditioning on in our room as spiders won't come in to the cool temperature. It certainly worked for us.

Try not to worry and let it spoil your holiday. If you do encounter spiders or any other critters, just call reception, they will send someone to your rescue!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spiders

Yep ,defenatily spiders! We had one in our Vila and one in the shower at Kuredu but thats all we saw in 2 weeks ,we didn't see any on vilamendhoo.and the air con should deter them .

However to be honest we have a few in our garden at the moment that would eat them for breakfast ;-) we live with spiders every day but hardly see them !! So don't start looking around for them on holiday and chances are you won't see any ;-)

Enjoy

Darryl

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spiders

Never seen one in three visits, guess the geckos snack on them!

Don't over think it.....

Skeggy in UK
Level Contributor
505 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spiders

We've been to the Maldives seven times, including Kuramathi and have never seen a spider yet. My wife is arachnophobic and she has never seen one, despite being extra alert !

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spiders

Seen one in four visits, they exist, naturally in many countries. It would be hard to find a sunny holiday spot that does not have them.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spiders

If you think spiders are scarey, wait till you see the Maldivian hamsters! :-)

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,295 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spiders

14 visits....stayed on, or visited, 14 resort islands....including 2 weeks on kuramathi.....only ever seen 1 spider to remark on. And that was on Meedhupparu.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spiders

8 visits no spiders ( along with no dolphins too LOL) fingers crossed for next year but only for dolphins!

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spiders

Thanks for all the replies, feeling much less anxious now!