We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

Hello!

We are considering Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo for our honeymoon next year. Based on the following broad requirements I wondered which may be the better...

- We're seeking somewhere mid-sized with a few things going on but some romantic isolation too!

- Ideally an island with fewer children

- A good house reef

- Lovely water villa is a must

- A few other excursion options

Or if you have any other suggestions they would be much appreciated! Similar budget to these two islands though please!

Thanks!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

Hi

Both your posts have made it onto the Maldives forum ;-) maybe it would be best to concentrate all your replies on just one of them ;-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

When we were deciding on which island to go to on honeymoon I made up a wee chart on a bit of A4 paper because there were so many things to consider!

We chose Kuramathi over Vilamendhoo because we are big foodies and loved that it's not just buffet at Kuramathi.

From my online research they both have good house reefs and both welcome kids. Although Kuramathi is child friendly they seem to stay at the kids club all day so I barely saw them. I remember being concerned about this before going too but it was not a problem at all. Although Kura is a larger island by maldivian standards it is so quiet. We hardly saw people except from at bars and meal times. i think a lot of people go diving during the day.

The water villas look nice in both resorts.

Both resorts offer diving excursions, local island excursions and water sports.

I would say its probably down to what experience you want - very robinson crusoe or not completely? having been to kuramathi I would be worried that I would find another island too small for us & i don't like the idea of sitting in the same seat for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of the holiday.

I'm on kuramathi's side but sorry I can't be of more help!

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

Kuramathi is one of the largest Maldivian islands but also reportedly is quite quiet.

Vilamendhoo has a better reef but can feel busy.

The food at Vila, from personal experience, was not great.

Kuramathi is renowned for its food, especially on Select AI.

Water villas on Vila are good with jacuzzis on the deck.

Belfastpaul will confirm that some of the water villas on Kuramathi are amongst the best in their budget/class.

I know which I would pick.

John

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

Thank you for the replies - very helpful! I think Kura is just edging it for us at the moment. It looks stunning and I love the variety of restaurant options. Now to look at the costs and to see which room type we can afford - water villa is a must so I hear!

Darrylpaula - Being a relative TA novice I didn't realise my posts would both end up on the Maldives forum - thanks for the tip!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

JWV is a must. The normal WV is a must not.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

Thanks belfastpaul. We'll explore that option then - what is the main difference; size, furnishings, view/location or a bit of everything? Thanks!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,474 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

vilamendhoos reef is better by a huge margin ... really no comparison . however , if this is your first snorkeling destination , you will be thrilled with kuramathi's reef. for diving , I would not choose kuramathi , personally .

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

JWV a on the reef side so get the sun all day, close to the reef, huge sun deck, very private, normal WV on lagoon side so not much to see when u go for a swim , in shade , small deck , can't really sunbathe, next to a busy bar ... Not my choice at all considering they are the next most expensive after the JWV.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

A decent enough house reef with more of the larger species (sharks/rays ) than all our other islands put together. Regularly swam through a couple of dozen sharks minimum every snorkel.

South Wales
Level Contributor
313 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kuramathi or Vilamendhoo?

I kept telling myself that they won't harm you but I was rather unnerved one day on Kuramathi when 3 pretty big sharks kept circling us when out snorkelling! Apparently they are just being inquisitive mmmm... I just kept whipping around to keep an eye on them! After while they got bored and swam off. They were definitely the biggest I have ever ssen.