We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

So, we were going through our documents and can't quite grasp the luggage allowances.

We're flying in and out on Emirates-30kilos, so no problems there, plus a carry on, plus a purse.

Currently sea plane in, speedboat out.

Sea plane-5 kilos in a small purse max? Or is it 5 kilo purse, plus 20 kilo carry on, plus luggage in a boat?

Please help-I know this seems like an excessive amount of luggage, but we've been travelling since the end of June and Kuramathi is our last stop. We can't leave any luggage behind in Dubai, since we are only connecting in transit on the way back...

We each have a large piece of luggage, carry ons, and purses.

THANK YOU!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

I think it may be 20kg per person - including all hand luggage. However, i'm sure we've been over this and they've been quite lenient or the cost of excess is pretty low anyway.

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

Seaplanes have a max weight for luggage of 20 kilos so you could be charged excess baggage and they may choose to send your bags separately by boat. After all if all the people on the plane were 10kg over it would probably struggle getting off the water!! You can take one piece of hAnd luggage as well.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

Thanks for your quick responses!

I'm still a bit confused as to 'how many' pieces? Is it one suitcase plus a purse? Or is it a suitcase plus carryon plus purse?

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

Hi

The allowance is 20k plus 5k on the sea plane the excess is $4.00 per kilo plus tax pieces don't matter it's all weighed together including your handbag per person

Regards

Doug

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

20kg hold luggage and 5kg hand luggage each. Any excess is chargeable at $4 per kg although you might be lucky if the luggage handlers are feeling kind! No weight restrictions on the speedboat. I had one piece hold and 2 pieces hand, OH had 1 piece hold and one piece hand.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

I think I get it...

It's essentially 25 kilos per person, regardless of whether it's two or three bags total.

$4 US fee per kilo over.

Correct?

London
Level Contributor
885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

You can pay for the extra weight. I forgot how much I paid last time, possibly 20 USD for 9kg or so...

Don't worry, you don't have to leave any luggage behind if you really need them.( the seaplane was full last time we went, as a result they bumped off one suitcase per couple, sending them over via the next seaplane, arriving one hour later than our plane.)

The total weight of the passengers as well as the luggages counts. I think I was at least 45 kg less than the biggest person in the same plane, it wasn't my 10kg or so luggage causing the bump off for the whole plane,but just the flight's max capacity leaving not enough room for that many suitcases, and weights, just saying ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

It's 20 plus 5. I don't really get why they split it, they pretty much weigh it all together And place it up the back of the plane,,,would be simpler just to say 25 per person in total.

Edited: 12:57 pm, August 03, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

Whew! Got it-sorry for the last minute jitters and uncertainty.

Super excited!!! First timers to Maldives :)

Off to one last iftar dinner buffet-gotta start training for Select AI (ha ha ha)

Thanks again

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent-sea plane luggage q-leave in 12 hours!

Ukiebride

Correct - the thing most of us forget (because we've rarely been charged) is that its $4 per excess kilo PLUS 8% taxes - Doug has to remind us!

Have a great trip.