We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash vs DEBIT Card

manchester UK
Level Contributor
91 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cash vs DEBIT Card

I know i'll need some cash for tips etc on the island, but wondered what people thought.

Firstly, can I ask if the island shop lets you put stuff on your room bill or if you have to pay upfront (like in a normal shop)

We fancy doing a couple of bits whilst there, possibly sea fishing, and also a massage etc, but I am aware that this will go on my bill at the end of the holiday.

If we pay cash at the end, we'll need to get the dollars from a bureaux de change, at a tourist rate of about 1.5 to the pound.

If we pay on visa debit card, we'll get a better bank rate to the pound SET BY visa(i think) which I assume about 1.7 or 8 but I'll be hit with a 2.99% charge....

I cannot for the life of me work out if i'd be better off either way... Any one else done it this way?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,085 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cash vs DEBIT Card

Call me old fashion but no matter were i go on holiday i always take cash !

Cash is king :-)

Darryl

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cash vs DEBIT Card

I am surprised about the debit card comment, that it is widely accepted.

My understanding is most islands don't take it, and I am pretty sure on kuramathi we used our credit card as they would not accept visa debit, maybe it has changed in the last few years.

I would confirm with the island, you don't want to be stuck. However I personally would use credit card.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cash vs DEBIT Card

Anything over the Internet or in a foreign country or any large transaction i would never ever on pain of death use a debit card... Ever. A credit card is not your money you are handing over... Have had so many problems with cards that if I had used a debit card I would never have got my money back.... Top tip; always use a credit card for the 3 scenarios above..... Never eat the yellow snow and never book Centara grand(only joking megg/cassie lol)... Oh and 4th... Never ever argue with the fairer sex.

manchester UK
Level Contributor
91 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cash vs DEBIT Card

Be there on the 5th Cant Wait!!!! - Days are dragging now though!!

We have asked Kuramathi direct, and they do take Visa Debit although, a final decision as to what we are to do is pending.

15. Re: Cash vs DEBIT Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, December 14, 2013