We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater camera

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater camera

Hi

We will be off to Kuramathi soon and would be pleased to hear any tips on underwater cameras, we don't have one as yet, should we get one??

Thank you

england
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater camera

Yes I would recommend that you get one. I have had mine for several years and I am sure that there are now more up to date ones on the market. If you do not get any recommendations on this thread, go into your local camera shop and ask them to show you a selection. Mine only cost just over £100 and I would imagine that they have probably gone down in price a bit and have more features now.

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater camera

Is this for snorkelling? If so, then this one is cheap & cheerful & waterproof for up to 3m? It's 12Mp & does video recording

amazon.co.uk/Kodak-EasyShare-Sport-Digital-C…

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater camera

It depends what you want the camera for Diving, just snorkelling, do you want it to be your main camera or one which does both land and water.

There is a whole range from the likes of Cannon, Fuji, panasonic who do land/ snorkelling cameras but it depends on how much you want to spend. There are some cheaper ones Vivitar had a good rep on the lower end of the cost scale.

Sg

Edited: 1:08 pm, March 18, 2012
france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater camera

If you have the funds to buy a decent/higher spec camera I would recommend it,

It will last you a good few years and you will be far happier with your photos and the quality of them.

If you need a new land camera - combine the 2 and buy a camera with a housing for the snorkelling/diving.

the canon s95 with canon box or panasonic tz20 with its box are both excellent cameras on land and under the sea, canon and panasonic have newer models out so you can find these at reasonable prices and for the money they are impressive

Decent memory cards class 10 with lots of storage is also a good idea as you will take lots and lots of photos and unless you take a laptop to download you might delete photos in error as it is quite difficult to judge their quality on the small view screens on the cameras.

We started off with a vivitar 6 years ago altho it worked well the shots were not all that great. After a few holidays to the maldives underwater photography for me has become abit of an obsession - be warned!!

quite a few posters on here have posted links to their photos - snorkelling and diving,.

How much were you hoping to spend? - then others will give their opinion of whats a good buy in your budget.

cassie

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater camera

Thank you all for your quick replys, we will be just snorkelling, not quite up to diving yet! Will look at the link given and try and get something sorted. We are getting excited now not long to go:)

Jackie

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Underwater camera

I use a little Canon S90 which is relatively cheap and gives good quality images underwater...might be worth checking out E bay as sometimes you can pick up a bargain.

I have my underwater photos on my website, WWW.warrenssite.com and just click on the Maldives tab. Purely holiday snaps but it might help you get an idea.

7. Re: Underwater camera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 am, April 14, 2012
france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underwater camera

lmao, sky 5, Hope you take you holiday snaps to the next level - I cannot wait to see them !!

If I achieve one or two like yours I will be very happy.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
249 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underwater camera

we just returned and had picked up the Nikon Coolpix AW100 and got some fantastic shots. We also have a cheaper fuji underwater that does decent. Both are high definition and so it's nice to have the camcorder option!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underwater camera

Your pics are amazing Sky5!