We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

London
12 posts
Save Topic
Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

Hi,

I am thinking of booking Kuramathi for the wife’s 40th birthday for 10 nights in August and I was hoping I could your fine views on a few things. Sorry for the long list of questions but I really want make sure I book a special memorable holiday that is suitable for the whole family.

Firstly we will be going with our 6 year old son and 18 month old daughter. How kid friendly is the island? From reading around it doesn't seem to have a great kids club which doesn't concern me too much as we have never used them on holidays, but I would like to get a view on how well kids are catered for in the buffet restaurants and generally throughout the resort?

Are the reefs suitable for my 6 year old to snorkel on as long as I am with him? (he can swim but I will need to introduce him to snorkelling :)

It seems like the Deluxe Beach Villa has the best location in terms of the beach at the top of the island, but it sounds like the Deluxe Beach Villas with Jacuzzi are also a very popular option as well? Are these maybe better located if we want to be a bit more centrally located in terms of being nearer to more of the general facilities etc? Also worried that the Deluxe Beach Villas at the top might be "too quiet" for the kids.

I was not planning to do the "Select All Inclusive" as we have young kids with us and it will let us be more flexible in terms of being able to turn up whenever suits us and not having to make reservations everyday (and buffets are just much easier with kids). Are we seriously going to miss out if we don't do the "Select All Inclusive"? (we are all vegetarian by the way and I am hoping this won’t be too much of an issue in the buffet).

Lastly what are people views on sea plane transfers with kids? People have said you must do a sea plane transfer at least one way because it is amazing. One travel agent I spoke to said they are extremely noisy and loud and might not be ideal for my 18 month old daughter.

Any advice/tips and general views on how suitable you think the resort would be are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

London
12 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

Thanks for advice Sarah.

I have booked standard All Inclusive with the intention of paying for the for odd lunches and a couple of dinners at the a la carte restaurants. Works out significantly cheaper for us especially if we are not big drinkers.

Thanks for the advice on pushchair, sounds like our 18 month daughter will be having a few rides on daddies poor shoulders and the odd buggy ride :)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

the main 'road' from one end of the island to the other is hardstanding (concrete i would guess) with a smattering of sand sprinkled over. The minibuses drive up and down this road and it will be no problem for a pushchair. Some of the side roads are also solid but the pathways are sand.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

A push chair should be no issue going through the middle of the island,,,alternatively as Paul says, you really can catch the bus! It's a tough hike when it's very hot. The heat exhausts you quickly. However lots to explore and see as you manoeuvre around. Personally I would definitely recommend a push chair, or poor daddy will be suffering a lot!

australia
Level Contributor
556 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

I always take a stroller... Even when I stayed at Conrad the "roads " we're pretty sandy but I find a stroller for an 18 month really important.. At every other resort the sand has been more then hard enough..diva (lux now) a large resort even with buggies our stroller went everywhere with us to meals and bars etc,, We have a city mini and it's excellent as it folds easily and can handle a bit of sand.. My 2 yr old was in it more then the baby.. He had quite a few sleeps in it at the beginning when he was a bit jet lagged..

I'd take it.. If u don't use it then no harm .. But if u do.. Well it will save your shoulders !!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

take it....the main road is as hard as any road

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

Hi Jay

I have just booked my trip to Kuramathi with my three year old. I was wondering how you got on with the kids?

Did you use the kids club??

London
12 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

Hi Vadzvp,

Got to say we had the holiday of a lifetime. I had high expectations before going and even these were surpassed.

The kids didn't want to leave the island, and before we had left my six year old was already asking when we are coming back. I was happy with all the decisions I made.

Deluxe Beach Villa we stayed in was beautiful and perfectly located for us, perfect stretch of beach outside our back door for the kids to do what they wanted. It was located 90 second walk from the buffet restaurant and 30 second from a buggy stop which allowed us to get to the bottom of the island when needed.

We did the standard all inclusive rather than the "Select All Inclusive" which I felt was right for us. Going with my 19 month old daughter everyday to the A la carte restaurants would have been hard work for us, instead we just paid for the couple of times we decided to have a treat and go a la carte.

Transfers were great. Both kids and the wife loved the seaplane outbound and speedboat inbound so no complaints there.

Overall the best holiday we have ever had and already looking at when we can go back. We would probably go back to Kuramathi (that's how much we loved it).

Rgds,

Jay

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

Glad you had such a great time Jay

29. Re: Kuramathi for family of four and general advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 18, 2013