We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May

Bangalore, India
1 post
Save Topic
Weather in May

I'm planning to visit Kuramathi,Maldives during Mid May this year... was just curious to know how the weather would be then ?

Heard its gonna be the onset of monsoon then !!! can someone let me know if the weather might play a spoilsport or its gonna be just sunshine during the day..

montgomery, wales
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in May

suggest you look at the FAQ: what is the weather like .......

cumbria
Level Contributor
392 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in May

The FAQ is the best place to look............ as tiggy says.

In short, no one can predict the weather. The Maldives stays mainly warm in monsoon season. It can be windy, it can be rainy, it can be sunny, it can be cloudy, the sea may be rough, it may be smooth............................

But you are in the maldives and it will almost certainly be paradise on earth**

** Paradise is a subjective word and I will not be held responsible for this description if you have a sh*t holiday! (Only going by some recent reviewers comments!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in May

Yeah I'm going may 3rd and was wondering about that I heard it will still be ok.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,124 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in May

astro - wherever you heard that from.. that person clearly has a better connection to "above" than us mortals . it completely depends on when the monsoon will turn . in recent years that has been around mid may .. and is accompanied by 1-2 weeks of stormy unsettled , wet weather.

however ..it can definitely rain solidly for 2 weeks ... or be sunny and dry for 2 weeks ... and anything in between. early may odds are better than mid/late may odds for sure

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in May

Iv googled a lot been on forums online weather,emailed them at the island so I'm not to worried and iv been checking everyday on iPhone as iv selected that as one of my countries I can check on everyday lol.well it said they have noticed it hits around 17 th may seems to be consistent but hey I'm sure it will be ace,roll on 3rd may I'm in beach villa booked with Kuoni and astromads I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid lol it's user name my names Madeleine.well il be on island on 4th flying via Doha.busy checking out underwater cameras,few decent ones from curries £100 not bad.got my snorkelling vest aswel as I'm not the best swimmer in the world.seems a lot of thunderstorms there everyday with lots of sun aswel,love watching thunder.

South Wales
Level Contributor
313 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in May

Hi Astro,

We are off on 4 May so we both need to cross everything:) We have been lots of different time of the year including dry season and had rain. The weather in the Maldives is not like Europe when you can practically guarantee dry weather if you chose the right month to go. We actually went on the exact same date (Sept) two years on the trot and on the first year had 4 days solid rain. The second year we had wall to wall sunshine! We have been in Jan and had overcast weather. We have chose to go in May this year as we are celebrating a special anniversary. We are expecting some rain and it really won't bother us! It's such a fab place. Oh and by the way, the weather for the Maldives always says thunderstorms!....and we has a lovely hol in Kuramathi last year. you will enjoy:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in May

Yeah I can't wait,got my underwater camera today £119 good one aswel.the story on forum about a woman waking up to a cockroach in her hair and someone else saying about a spider bigger than palm of there hand in bathroom has freaked me out a bit lol.counting the days now : )

Lebanon
Level Contributor
242 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in May

I'm off to Athuruga mid may, can't get off work any other time. Hope I don't get to witness the whole monsoon change thing!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in May

Last year I went to do a house reef dive and on entry the weather was sunny, calm and clear skies. Just before ascending my guide pointed up and I could see the rain and waves, on exit it was unbelievable, the rain was so hard it actually washed my contact lenses out and the sky was almost black! We only had one day like that though, other times we had afternoon showers but generally clear up until mid day.

10. Re: Weather in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, May 10, 2013