We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders and smoking!?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spiders and smoking!?

going to kuramathi in september 2012. just wondering before we go is there many spiders around or in the water villas. also my boyfriend smokes. can you smoke everywhere or is there limitations? also can u buy smokes on the resort or does he need to bring his own?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

didnt see any spiders.

Smoking allowed everywhere from memory

smokes available in shop but very expensive - buy on duty free on plane.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

Hi Jade

As far as I know none of the spiders smoke

Regards

Doug

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

Do you crumble the spiders into a rizla and smoke them?

Can you buy them on the web?

John

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

ahaha thanks you's made me laugh!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

Don't buy on the island, buy in duty free as suggested, it's about 3 times the price in resort. Still half the price of the uk, but about 4 or 5 dollars a pack if I remember correctly, duty free is about 24 dollars for 2OO. So you feel ripped off.

Re spiders, it's just your luck, in meed recently we had a huge one in our bathroom, I mean, palm of your hand size with double jointed legs. Hubby had to get it with his flipper.,,,and I can assure you, it showed no fear,,just kept coming at him. ( although did cause much hilarity with my daughter and I as we shut him inthere with it after we saw it run towards him). Lol.

Can't recall any on kuramathi, but it's simply luck on what you encounter.

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

If you are flying through Doha or Dubai get your smokes there. I don't smoke myself but have bought them for people on the way home. You can get 600 Marlboro Lights for $45 in Dubai. The spiders are there but we have hardly ever seen them in our 10 trips, even on local islands. Spiders are allergic to hair spray (they can't move) and most are sensitive to flip flops getting applied to them. It's the stuff in the water you have to worry about anyway!

staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
456 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

oh great, this forum is so hypocrtical, dont stand on the coral dont touch the fish but it is ok to kill spiders, i dont think so...

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

I have never killed a spider in the Maldives! But as I spent the first 29 years of my life in Australia and I hate spiders I can't say that I wasn't a mass murderer of spiders there. There is no way I would ever knowingly share a bedroom with a huntsman spider and they are so fast to be able to catch, as this youtube video will show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU

Vacuum cleaners also work very well.

australia
Level Contributor
556 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

Unfortunately in my house a few spiders have had to lose their lives... Being in Australia we are invaded in our houses with these creepy crawlies.. I'd never go out and kill one on purpose and I get no enjoyment from it but spiders terrify me and no way can I have one living in my bedroom..

One time when I was working I opened a door didn't see the spider and it flicked off ran up my leg and yes bit me several times on my upper leg.. A huntsman -thank goodness it was just one of those but it was massive.. I was told they dont bite.. Mmm it bit me for sure.. The spider wouldn't get off me so I'm afraid that spider lost its life.. It's not the same thing as standing on coral etc.. If one is in your room then it needs to be gone or if ur capable put it outside by catching it. But I don't try and catch them if it's not a huntsman I'd be frightened to be bitten by a poisonous one.. The thought of one crawling over me while sleeping gives me the heebie jeebies.. So I'm sorry no spiders in my room.. I think spider spray lives in most households around me...

Never seen a spider in the Maldives ... Been 4 times.. I certainly don't look for them either..

australia
Level Contributor
556 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spiders and smoking!?

Gengy.. I second the vacuum cleaner... Especially if the thing has built a nice web as well...