We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in August

Pembroke Dock...
4 posts
Save Topic
Weather in August

Hi all

My partner and I are going to Kuramathi on Sunday and after reading all the weather reviews it says its going to be thunderstorms for pretty much the whole time we are there.

Has anyone just come back or been the same time of year as us and experienced the weather, if so what is it like?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in August

the weather in the past is absolutely no indication of this years weather to come ... but if you really think it could be .. you can look it up for every day in detail at weatherunderground

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in August

The weather in the Maldives is pretty unpredictable 1 day to the next, let alone 1 year to the next. Thunderstorms and rain are common even in the dryer season. I was there for 1 week at the start of the Monsoon season in May, which is one of the wettest months on average (wetter than August according to my info), and had 7 days of scorching sunshine. 2 occasions of rain were both during the night, and one evening I watched a lightening storm pass across the horizon. Just cross your fingers that the rain falls while you're asleep, you'll fall in love with the place regardless.

Mentioned in this post
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in August

I think every single time i have been on a tropical holiday, i have checked the weather before i went and every time it said thunderstorms. And every time (or almost every time) on arrival it was clear blue skies for a week or 2 weeks with an odd shower at night and maybe one in the day. The exception was Tobago when it rained solid for a week out of 2 (due to a hurricane passing nearby). I have been looking at various Maldives forecasts for the last 6 months and i cant remember the last time it said it was sunny. It must be something to do with humidity levels or other factors which make it always seem to be raining. We went to Kuramathi in jan this year and the day before we went I checked at least 4 sites including the met office, BBC, weatherunderground and the Maldives met office. They all predicted rain for 2 weeks. In reality it was part cloudy on day one and full on sun the rest of the time. Just cross fingers... all you can do. at least there are plenty of different places to go in Kuramathi, plenty of bars with overhead cover, open to the elements, facing the sea if it does rain.

Mentioned in this post
Tobago
Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Pembroke Dock...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in August

Thank you so much for your comments they are very reassuring will let you know how i get on when i get back

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in August

We wre there last July and it rained only for 2 days out of 12. the rain was warm and passed relatively quickly. You can still swim/snorkel in the rain and on one day i was the only one out on the reff because of the rain, it was magical.

H

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in August

SORRY my spelling is somewhat shot this p.m should read we WERE there/ and REEF rather than reff!!!!

H

7. Re: Weather in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 09, 2012