We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuramathi - full board vs. basic all inclusive

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Kuramathi - full board vs. basic all inclusive

My fiance and I have decided to go to the Maldives for our honeymoon in Sept. We've narrowed our choices down to 2 resorts - Kuramathi and Coco Palm Dhuni Kholu.

For Kuramathi, we're trying to decide whether or not it's worth it to pay for all inclusive. Neither of us are big drinkers, so is the main difference between full board and all inclusive just access to alcoholic drinks?

Does full board include water, juices, soda, and coffee with meals?

Also if our flight gets in at 3:05pm, would that allow us enough time to catch a seaplane that day or would it be a better idea to play it safe and stay at an airport hotel and just transfer early the next day?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,322 Reviews
Kuramathi
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
326 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuramathi - full board vs. basic all inclusive

The general consensus is generally to go for the select all inclusive, which allows you to eat in any of the restaurants. It's an extra $50 per day, but the food is apparently brilliant. People I know who have been have said to upgrade to that and take a lower grade villa, it's well worth it.

Not been myself, yet. Will be going in October!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuramathi - full board vs. basic all inclusive

Hi

We were at Kuramathi last October and had the same decision to make. As we dive we don't usually drink alcohol when on holiday so normally always go for B&B or HB however we did do AI (a la carte) in Kuramathi and it was fantastic primarily because of the choice of restaurants which were brilliant. It also include almost all soft drinks, OK wines, beers and an extensive cocktail list.

Definitely go for this option.

You should be ok with the sea plane at that time unless there is a long delay with your flight arrival.

BTW we have also been Coco Palm and it is very different place to Kuramathi. For Reef and definitely for the food I would go to Kuramathi (also pool if you want it) however Coco Palm is a smaller, more natural pretty island. Both good holidays just different.

Regards

Susan

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,322 Reviews
Kuramathi
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuramathi - full board vs. basic all inclusive

If you can, stretch your budget to select AI. You absolutely wont regret it. If thats not an option and you are not a big drinker, it would still be a close call which is the cheapest between A? & FB. However, AI you get soft drinks in your mini bar and free snorkelling eqpt. The drinks arent that expensive so if you dont drink much maybe FB is better for you but if you like your food - go select AI.

With full board you just get the food - no drinks at all. You dont even get water on FB. Some travel comapanies state that if you arrive after 3pm you HAVE to stay in a local hotel and get a boat/seaplane the next day. I'm not sure about US travel companies. I would check your booking conditions as you dont really want to spend a night in Male. It is only a 20-25 min sea plane flight so there is plenty of time.

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuramathi - full board vs. basic all inclusive

We also had the same decision - and we actually decided to go full board as it was £800 for upgrade to basic all inclusive -which just basically is only drinks extra - let alone select all inclusive!

Neither myself or my partner drink, and considering you're on a island the prices of drinks aren't too bad - $4.00 for a big bottle of water etc and even with the odd alcoholic drink/cocktail and meal at one of the other restaurants, the cost is going to come no where near the cost of the upgrade. So I think it was right the decision for us...

I'd reccommend emailing Kuramanthi and they will send you a bar price list/s and that way you can work out roughly how much you will spend on drinks.

We are flying out Tuesday, so we will let you know when we get back if it worked out better or...not!haha.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuramathi - full board vs. basic all inclusive

We met a lady who didn't drink at all and she was very happy on full board. Given the amount of water/soft drinks you will need to drink because of the heat, the cost may add up.

My husband and I were on the basic all-Inc and were very happy with that. The allocated restaurants have a great choice if food and it was a high standard. My husband has a gluten free diet and the chef made gluten free bread and cake for him each morning and also told him at lunch and dinner what he could and couldn't eat. They even cooked him food that was not on the menu!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuramathi - full board vs. basic all inclusive

You are right about the cost of drinks. They really arent that expensive (but they are not what I would call cheap). I think the most expensive single drink (apart from Champahgne) was actually a small can of Red Bull at $7.50. But you then have to add 13.5% tax so that is then $8.60 - so thats about £5.40!!!! . But things like red bull arent included for some reason. I really dread to think the cost of drinks had we not gone all-inc. We always had 2 bottles of wine for evening meal (3/4 of a bottle went back to the room). Add on drinks at lunchtime, cocktails, water, drinks round the pool and it very quickly adds up. If you just have the odd coke or water, then forget all-inc. If you like to have a drink on holiday with wine/cocktails etc, all -inc is the only way to go.

7. Re: Kuramathi - full board vs. basic all inclusive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 03, 2012