We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Weddings

Devon
Level Contributor
284 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Weddings

Hi, first time posting for me so apologies if this subject has been covered before. My son is looking to get 'married' on the Maldives(I know it is actually a renewal of vows as weddings are not legal - he is therefore planning to get married in a registry office in the UK - really low-key - and then have a more memorable ceremony on the Maldives. As we will have three (well behaved!) young children in the family party we wondered if Kuramathi would be a good option.

The main priorities however are good snorkelling from the beach and of course - wedding location.

Has anyone experienced the Wedding Ceremony on Kuramathi? If so, ANY advice / info would be gratefully received. (We are looking at 2011 - probably August - I know it's not the best month for weather but budget is tight and can't afford February prices.

Thankyou! Maz.

a priority

London
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice on Weddings

You might want to consider Angsana Velavaru... they offer several different wedding packages and even have a beautiful wedding pavilion with views out to sea - a perfect back up plan for the unpredictable off-season weather!

This year they have some amazing accommodation offers for the low season (until end of Sept) with 50% off their land villas - I suspect the same will be true of next year, which makes this a very attractive option for the price. Of course you wont know that until next year and you may already want to have something in place by then, but if you have a steady nerve then you could really get your moneys worth - the reviews for this island are generally favourable.

A sunset beach wedding costs $650 (approx £450), which I don't think is too bad. They have details of their packages online and I'm sure you could customise a package to make it suit you better if you wanted to.

angsana.com/EN/…Weddings

I can't say what they are like, I just know as I was looking into the possibility of getting married in the Maldives myself. I have the hurdle of getting the other half to agree first...!!!!

Is your son and his bride to be set on the Maldives? Whilst they are spectacular and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from going if they have the chance, I think I am right in saying that they can have a legally binding wedding in Mauritius (which is slightly cheaper than the Maldives but still very lovely).

Lets hope we see some lovely photos and a glowing review sometime in the future, whatever island they choose.

M.

Devon
Level Contributor
284 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice on Weddings

Thankyou Marienj.

Apologies for the delay in replying. (I've been in sunny (YES - SUNNY!) Cornwall.

Thankyou for the alternative ideas. We did look at Mauritious as well as several Caribbean options but our son and bride-to-be kept returning to the Maldives as their Dream Destination. We opted for Kuramathi eventually because it ticked most of the boxes for our requirements. Because we will be a mix of two families we wanted a reasonable-sized island (let's face it - the honeymooners might just find having parents/in-laws in close proximity just a little suffocating!); choice of restaurants to give us all the opportunity to do our own thing was another plus. Also we have three young children in our group so the Kid's Club was also attractive.

The 'wedding' ceremony on the sandbank looks gorgeous too. So as I say, Kuramathi seemed to tick most of our boxes for our budget. Just want my son and new daughter-in-law to have the wedding of their dreams!

Sugar17 - hope the same for you in October and will keep an eager eye out for your review!

Maz.

13. Re: Advice on Weddings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 29, 2010