We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling at Kuramathi

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkelling at Kuramathi

Hi could anyone tell if the snorkelling equipment provided is any good or am i better off buying some and taking with me ?

Also if there are any parts of the island that are better to snorkell in than the rest ?

Regards

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

always best to bring at least your own mask and snorkel .

the mask has to fit perfectly and you would have to be very lucky to find the exact right mask for your very face as a resort rental. a leaking mask can rather ruin your snorkeling enjoyment. well.. and a rental snorkel is kind of like a rented toothbrush - a matter of taste (no pun intended)

buy your mask and snorkel at a dive shop near you - never buy a cheap "set" in a sporting goods store . you have to try them on .. the staff in the dive store will show you how to determine a proper fit.

having said that .. you don't need expensive gear - just a customized fit.

fins are ok to rent at the resort .. taking your own assures more comfort but isn't crucial if you are not planning on diving.

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

Thanks Spammie

Bristol
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

Kuramathi is a large and very well maintained island , did 2 weeks 3 years ago

Normally go diving but didn't bother as snorklling was so good !!!!!!!

It will take you quite along time to see all of the reef as the island is quite large

My wife and I are in the water 4 - 5 hours a day but here are the times to go and what to see

In front of the water bunglows is the best spot just at the reef drop off

If you can bring yourself to get up and go in early before breakfast - 6.15am

you will see a manta ray that circles the island feeding on plankton

Something I did not believe I would see without an expensive dive out to manta point - an all day trip!!!

I know this is a regular thing as I saw him 2 days in a row - took another 3 people with me the following day

If you go in just before dusk in the same area then this is when the black tip reef shark group together and start hunting - providing you are not the nervous type as there are 8 to 10 that come together . If you stay still they will circle around you within 5 to 6 feet !!! while looking for food - don't worry its not you - there have been no incidents with sharks in the maldives since they opened for bis 40 years ago

There are quite afew turtle , they feed in the out crops of rock that are where they anchor the larger boats - where the reef is furthest away

In the largest lagoon area there is a long stretch of rocks - at the end of them lived a large octopus which at dusk will give you a multi-coloured display - we saw him 3 or 4 days in a row - if you are still and don't move he may come out and move freely - this is an amazing sight - although quite small bodied the tentacles looked around 3 ft long as he moved sideways reaching between rocks

There are always large shoals of fish just off the drop off but check with the dive centre before straying too far outside theedge as there is quite a strong current with is not dangerous just quite difficult and tiring to fin against - the best bet is to set out on one side and let the drift take you along -

Hope this helps and have a great time - we are going out to Elliadhoo Cheeya Reef on 19th March and I can't wait!!

Mikey

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

Thanks for the info, Very helpfull and looking forward to swimming with the sharks

essex
Level Contributor
488 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

went to kuramathi in 2001, a long while ago !

snorkelling was good almost everywhere.

at the end of the island, the sand tapers to a narrow sand bar, and you even paddle with baby reef sharks !

going again to maldives this year, different island, but kuramathi was good.

sorry for being nosy ! but is that a real tiger ?

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

Hi Jalouisegirl,

Year real tiger, picture taken in koh samui in Thailand, The tigers trainer is standing out of shot just in case.

Regards

Devon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

Interesting stuff. My husband and I ahve just booked two weeks to Kuramathi in September :)

Really want to see a turtle as previous two trips to Maldives and Ive not seen one yet!!!

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

and to get you more in to the mood here some of the pics from our trip to Kuramathi...

flickr.com/photos/…

Merseyside
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

Thanks for putting your photos on. It looks absolutely fab. Going in May for one week for honeymoon. What were the Jacuzzi Water Villas like?

Thanks

Louise

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkelling at Kuramathi

Sorry not sure Louise... we were in the OWB...