We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

Manchester, England
6 posts
Save Topic
Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are looking at travelling to the Maldives for the first time in mid September 09.

The two islands that have been suggested are Biyadhoo and Kuramathi - can any offer any advice that might help with our choice?

We are not looking for the height of luxury, simply a relaxing break with good food (fresh fish a must!) and the opportunity to do a lot of diving & snorkelling.

Any advice or help would be greatfully received!!

Manchester, England
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

I forgot to mention - half board, full board or all inclusive - if we're diving most days is anything more than half board really required?

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

Hi,

I’ve never been to either but my friend has been to Kuramathi. They loved it but did comment the snorkelling was poor. It really depends on how much diving you plan on doing or if it more snorkelling you want to do. If the latter I’d go for an island with a good house reef. I’d post your budget too as they’ll may be better alternatives within your budget.

If you don’t think you’ll be around much at meal times or drink much, room only, B&B or HB may suit you. Just remember once you’re on the island you’re at the mercy of the islands prices. One island I stayed on it was $5.50 for a small beer and $4 for a coke. On another it was $11 for a beer and $7 for a coke so be careful and maybe check up on prices before you book.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

JJ hi..also not been to either but may help you to know that Kuramathi is a big island with 3 resorts and as Benjiii says, the marine life is not the best. On the other hand, Biyadhoo is supposed to be brilliant for snorkelling and diving but the rooms are in blocks of 8, 4 down and 4 up.Biyadhoo is not the height of luxury but this is likely to be reflected in the price.

Everybodies needs are different and it is a nightmare picking the right island...it's getting quite late to have a massive choice for Sept 09 though.

Food and fresh fish is pretty much guaranteed to be good on any island...diving and snorkelling can be different though.

Good luck and come back if you need more help.

Manchester, England
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

Thanks for the info Benjii - budget-wise we're looking for cheap as possible, this is simply a diving holiday essentially and not a honeymoon.

If we are diving everyday as planned then a big breakfast and dinner with a light snack in the afternoon should be sufficient - and we won't be drinking much alcohol with diving in the morning.

From what I've seen Biyadhoo looks like the one to go for, although I have also heard it can be overrun with children?? Will this be the case in September?

Thanks again,

Manchester, England
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

Thanks John - i think that might have sealed it then, the main purpose of going is for the diving and snorkelling.

Thanks for your advice

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

HiJJ,

Take a look at Helengeli, think its exactly what you are looking for, some realy good Diving and Fantastic snorkeling.

Rumps

Notts UK
Level Contributor
527 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

Biyadhoo is supposed to have first class diving and snorkelling which is the reason we've booked for August. I too was concerned about the recent reports of children but I think the reviewers who mention them just had a bad week!! It's not a typical family destination as there are no kids club or other facilities which attract kids.

Here's a link to dive school at Biyadhoo, the prices seem quite reasonable

http://www.dive-ocean.com/310_biy_center.aspx

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

Just because it isn’t a typical family destination doesn’t mean there won’t be kids there. There were kids on Komandoo which is tiny and more expensive and Kuredu which is bigger and not as expensive. Apparently the main pool at Kuredu was a bit mobbed with kiddies. I’ve heard Equator Village is very cheap and has good diving?

Bristol
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

Biyadhoo is a great budget island, the housereef is excellent and although I don't dive, have heard that it is also excellent. Biyadhoo is due to close for (ruination) refurbishment next year so take the chance to go there while you can. Accommodation is in two storey buildings, basic but clean, perfectly good because how much time do you spend there anyway? You can snorkel around the whole island, lots to see, good beach on one side of the island a bit eroded on the other but still enough room for a sunbed. There's a nice bar, the food is very good indeed. The island is small and relaxed and only a short 30 min speedboat ride away from Male. Just go, you can try other islands later, believe me, you will be back.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kuramathi or Biyadhoo?

I've been to Kuramathi (2005) & Meedhupparu (2008). The diving wasn't anything special (by Maldives standards!) at Kuramathi. Diving in Meedhupparu was pretty good last year. I've got some pictures & video at http://www.cushty.com/word if you are interested.

I'm actually going to Biyadhoo in a couple of weeks time, specifically because the diving & snorkelling is supposed to be top notch. The US dollar exchange rate at the moment means its still relatively expensive, but compared to some of the other islands it looks like good value. At the end of day it's the wonderful Indian Ocean that makes any visit to the Maldives worthwhile!