We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

building work at kuramathi village?

nottingham
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
building work at kuramathi village?

Have read that they are demolishing accomodation in kuramathi village and it may be noisy.This was from someone who had been there in November 08.Cant find message again!Has anyone any updates?

Also-we have booked standard bungalow rooms are they ok and how far from beach?

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

I was there 2 weeks ago and I did not see any demolishing works at all; not sure about standard rooms - we stayed in suprior bungalow.

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

Hi, It was me that posted that review. I stayed in a standard room, 5 huts along from the hut that was being demolished and it disturbed us. I'm not a complainer (usually) and I am a Chartered Building Surveyor so feel competent to comment. It might be that they are at a stage were the works will not disturb you, but the works in boat yard which is 200m away from the Main village beach also disturbed us, which is why my review was a bit negative, not to mention the Salmonella that I contracted whilst on the island together with the island charging us twice (£3k) for our room bill.

It is just possible that we suffered terribly with bad luck, its just that the holiday cost such a lot of money. Being in the 'trade' I would never have booked Kuramathi had the building works been adequately represented by the Tour Operator before we went as it definately disturbed our quiet enjoyment, which is what a holiday is all about is it not?

nottingham
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

Thanks for info again.Did you stay in standard or standard bungalow room(as classified by Kuoni)?Will see what Kuoni has to say!

What currency do you advise? We are AI so hopefully wont need that much!

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

You do not need much cash at all as you settle your bill a day before departure - usually paying by a credit card, you may need some cash (usually dollars) for tips - 50$ for a couple of weeks should be enough.

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

Not sure if the link will work and I hope it is not against the local rules - here you can see some photos (mostly underwater) which I made in Kuramathi Village about 3 weeks ago:

…smugmug.com/gallery/…423911745_wiafp

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

Those are amazing pictures! They really do the underwater life justice.

We stayed in the Standard rooms (standard as stated by Kunoni) they were the little round white huts with a thatched roof. I've just had another look at Kuoni's website and they only appear to be advertsing one type of standard, so I would guess that the bungalow that you describe is the same as I stayed in, but I cannot be 100% sure, your travel agent could tell you.

I have some pictures of our room if you would like me to email them to you to see if they are in line with what you are expecting.

I'll keep the forum posted as to what Kuoni say about our claim.

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

Also - take US Dollars with you.

If you intend to buy souveniers then go on the shoping to the local island, Rashdoo, which is probably half the price of the gift shop on Kuramathi.

Kuoni recommend a tip of $10 for the waiter per week stayed and $10 for the room boy per week stayed, but this is on the low side in my opinion as they work very hard and do not get paid very much.

Perhaps $150 cash for two weeks to include for souveniers.

It is important to note that you cannot get cash out on Kuramathi, its against their policies. There is a cash machine on Rashdoo, but it is very often not working.

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

Stunning pictures.

I'm very curious to know cameras did you use for diving & for island shots?

Many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

ATTLondon

Awesome photographs, particularly the underwater shots which I presume were all taken whilst diving. Can you let me know what type of camera you were using. Also, what is your view on the Kuramathi house reef for daily snorkelling - did you see much pelagic marine life?

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: building work at kuramathi village?

I used 5-year old Fuji F11 compact camera in Fuji underwater box and Sea & Sea manual YS27DX underwater strobe.

The house reef and diving at all on Kuramathi IMHO was average comparing to other atolls - not bad but at the same time not especially impressive (it was my 4th visit to Maldives). I did not snorkel but people who did saw sharks, mantas, rays, turtles and dolphins while snorkelling on the house reef.