We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wearing protective footwear

gloucester
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
wearing protective footwear

hiya

i am concerned about the amount of people advising to wear protective footwear into the sea...are there any areas near the village (where we are staying) where the entrance into the sea is just nice soft sand, or is there coral everywhere??

i really don't want to watch where i walk everytime i want to go into for a dip.

your replies would be appreciated.

cutie

Greenford, Middx.
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wearing protective footwear

I'm sure there are areas of softsand ... but within the sand there may be the odd sharp peice of coral which you may step on accidently. Also you don't want to step on a sleeping stingay ... though if you did, likelyhood it will sting you on your ankle. Best way to avoid these is to shuffle your feet as you walk along so that they know your coming and will swim off.

chepstow
Level Contributor
152 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wearing protective footwear

H,i there, we have stayed at Kurumanthi twice this year and we didn't have to wear protective footwear, plenty of sandy beaches, and when you go on the reef you should have your fins on anyway, have a great time we did Bridget

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wearing protective footwear

Cutie,

Dont worry, its just a precautinry measure, you can go in with bare feet, the broken coral just hurts if you continualy stand on it and as for standing on Sting rays, thats just scare mongering, very very little chance of standing on one. If snorkeling i would recomend open fins and to make it more comfortable --dive booties, this enables you to walk into the water at depth then just pull the fins on, same when getting out--less chance of looking like a clown as most people, and also a lot more proffesionsl.

Need more just ask- Hope this has helped.

Cheers

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wearing protective footwear

When we were at Lily Beach last November there was a person who got a small cut from coral on the top of his foot. It quickly got infected and he had to go to the local hospital on Mahibadhoo. They said he had gangrene and he was sent to the main hospital in Male. Luckily he didn't have gangrene but his foot was badly infected. His holiday was ruined as he could not go in the water and he could not get an earlier flight home so he had to sit around every day and his foot needed dressing every day. The first place he was going to when he got back to the UK was hospital. Nobody forces us to wear protective footwear in the water but to avoid any trouble we make sure we always do.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wearing protective footwear

Hi Gengy,

Hows you.

Cheers

yours--Rumps

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wearing protective footwear

It is just a precautionary measure because of the sharp coral. Not necessarily because there are lots of coral, if you want to go for a dip just make sure yous stay afloat as much as possible!!

Dive booties are best and more comfortable; I stood on a flat rather large expanse of rock near the edge of the water in barefeet chatting to someone and realised the water was turning red rapidly - I had unwittingly cut my foot from edge to edge on a bit of sharp coral and hadn't even noticed. I had to have steristrips on my foot and a waterproof plaster spray from the dive school) but it was painful to walk on and I couldn't go in the sea after that, and this was on my second day of my 2 week holiday!!

Having said that, there are areas of soft sand but you do need to be aware that even the flattest bit of rock to stand on can be dangerous! If you don't want to go to the expense of buying shoes or boots, a pair of socks will suffice if you want to be cautious!

........... activegirl

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wearing protective footwear

Hi Rumps, going along well thanks> Two weeks to go and we are on our way to Veligandu. Activegirl, your injury sounded horrible! It must be so frustrating being there and not be able to get into the water.

8. Re: wearing protective footwear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 12, 2009