We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

Hyderabad
2 posts
Save Topic
Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

I was planning to book holidays at Kuramathi after seeing good reviews .

As I was doing routine weekly deal search on Kuramathi hotels found this news which made be worried as I was planning to go for honeymoon so I want feel worry free .

www.minivannews.com/news/news.php?id=4998

A female tourist was hospitalised with head injuries and a broken rib after being severely assaulted by a room-boy on one of Maldives’ luxury resorts, it has been revealed.

The 45-year-old Russian woman was staying at Kuramathi Resort when the man entered her unlocked room and hit her from behind, before beating her so badly she has spent nine days in hospital.

“I heard someone come in. He came from behind. I suppose he hit me with a coconut. It was impossible to make such a blow otherwise,” she told Minivan News.

Police confirmed there was “a case” but refused to give any details, including the name of the resort.

Can I discount this as one off incident or need to move my search to some other safer island.

Ravi

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

For 1 i dont belive it-- for 2 if and i say if, does this not go on all over the world in any major --town --city.---- 1 incident.

before i pass judgement i would need to know more.

Rumpole

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

It appears to be an isolated incident of an attack on a single female traveller; the perpetrator has presumably been remanded and therefore should not pose any further risk to other tourists.

UK
Level Contributor
311 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

I also find this so hard to believe..the Maldives is probably the safest place in the world and i have stayed at Kuramathi..Would like to know the full circumstances before jumping to conclusions!

Mentioned in this post
Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

Hi

There is no smoke without fire but as with all newspaper reports one should take the story with a pinch of salt, newspapers are renown for exagerating and twisting the truth, so look at it logically it is the only incident that i know of with thousands of people visiting these islands every year, seems pretty good odds to me

regards susie

Maldives
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

Well let me inform you that this story is 90% correct, but it should read like this, the room boy who was on drugs went in to the ladys room and she was in her late fifties he tried to rape her but she fought back he then broke her jaw and skull, she is still in hospitol and the staff member is still on the island and this is going to cost Universal a fortune how do i know, lets say wink wink nudge nudge.

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

there is more out than in as they say !!! dont let it put you off.During 5 visits to the Maldives we have never felt worried or uneasy.The people are great.All countries have the token nutter !! and this country has its share as we know

cfc

Mentioned in this post
reading
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

I emailed the hotel direct and they said Thank you for writing to us.

The incident was not an attempted rape. It was a fight between two people ending badly. The accused was removed from the island immediately by the police and he will never be re-employed again on Kuramathi.

I assure you this is an isolated incident and the island perfectly safe for all.

Looking forward to welcoming you to Kuramathi.

Thanking you,

Ahmed Zafar

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

Just fantastic. I'm booked for November.

On the other hand, if a room-boy attempts to assault me or my family, it will be a major mistake on his part.

Maldives
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

you are safe there this was a one off thing however what Barnsboy has posted is untrue but you can not blame him for this as he is the islands accountant, what i posted before is infact what happend, but like i say this is an isolated incident.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Female Tourist Violently Attacked By Room-Boy at Kuramathi

Interesting. Too bad this happened and thankfully the woman is okay.

Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi