We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of going August 2008 - Some Help Needed

Scotland
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thinking of going August 2008 - Some Help Needed

I am considering booking a two week holiday to Kuramanthi Village for August 2008 and have read all the comments. No-one mentions children and we will be going with our son who will be thirteen next summer. I was thinking of booking a beach bungalow, seaplane transfer and upgrading our flight seats. Does anyone have any comments on the beach bungalows and whether it's worth upgrading our seats because the upgrade costs nearly £900.00 for the plane alone. We;re going with Mym Travel.

Any advice anyone could give me on this as a holiday for children (or young men as he'd rather be described as) and the plane upgrade would be greatly appreciated. We've never been to the Maldives before.

Thanks

Ann

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of going August 2008 - Some Help Needed

Hi Ann

Can't comment on your other questions, but with regard to your flight, if you are travelling with MYTravel then I would def upgrade to the premium seats or at least book extra legroom. The long flight can feel really cramped in the normal seats. The premium seats offer not just extra leg room but also they are extra wide, you would also get extra baggage allowance and your own check in at the UK airport.

Glenys

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of going August 2008 - Some Help Needed

I saw the odd child at the resort last May but only from a distance (teasing!) There were a few but honestly not many. The islands tend to attract couples. Watersports are limited but there is a staff football pitch and that always attracts a crowd. The Maldivian people are a family orientated culture so your son would be welcomed. The resident marine biologist (from Vienna?) has interesting talks and is a mine of information on the island. Kuramathi isn't a coastal resort on the Yucatan or Dominican Republic so there isn't that level of planned entertainment. Having said all that I recall being a strip of a lad in Turkey during the coup (a fathers excellent idea) and kicking my heels at the aptly named Banana Motel near Antalya until I fell in love with a equally bored girl and after that the days flew by.... Not suggesting anything of course!

The snorkling is fantastic and he'd enjoy that I'm sure. Also foraging for shells all along the island coast with mask and fins is a solitary pursuit and that would account for no end of hours of fun and discovery. I seem to recall seeing a table tennis table and darts board in the Village near the bar.

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on the upgrade. A flights a flight and it will be over before you know it, especially after some serious sleeping pills. You can always stretch your legs with a short stroll down the aisle....

hope this meandering drivel helps

regards

philews

3. Re: Thinking of going August 2008 - Some Help Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 08, 2009