We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrades

Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Upgrades

Hi All,

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) replying to this!! My fiancee and i have booked Kuramathi next year for our honeymoon and have found a bit extra to help towards the cost and now, rather luckily, are looking at potentially upgrading either our flights (we are flying with Sri Lankan) to their first class on the flights, or change our room (we are currently splitting our stay between a beach villa and Water villa).

Those that have travelled Sri Lankan before, have you gone "first Class" what is it like? in your opinion is it worth the extra money or do you think the flight in Economy is perfectly fine and we should spend the money on our villa choice? We are already doing the All Inclusive plus for the food. As its our Honeymoon im trying to make the stay as special as possible. Any insight into your own experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Male
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Upgrades

Rather than upgrading to first class, why not upgrade to business class and use the extra money for doing more activities such as spa and excursions?

You don't mention what the villa upgrade options are for you. Having said that, while flying business/first is always fantastic, it's still only 24 hours out of your whole holiday, whereas your room is all of your holiday, so I think personally I'd be inclined to upgrade the villa if it means spending the your holiday in a more spectacular villa.

If you're not looking at upgrading the villa type, but just spending your holiday in an over-water villa instead of splitting your stay, then I'd seriously consider using the extra money to do more activities and spa treatment and/or the flight upgrade. But that's just me.

Kat

Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upgrades

Thanks Kat, appreciate the feedback.

We have a Spa treatment already as part of the deal we got.

I do agree with you about the fact that the flight is only part of the 2 weeks and the money would probably be better spent on the villa. Sri Lankan, are far as i can see only have two classes on their flights so was intrigued to see if people thought the price increase is worth it or not. never gone long haul before London to New York has been my max flight time so will be interesting to see what people think.

Thanks again.

Nick

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upgrades

You seem to already have quite a few things covered, the meal plan, the spa treatment... For a first trip I think it is a good idea to experience both beach and water villas. Unless you really want to upgrade your accommodation or have more spas or need funds for excursions then I think that upgrading your flight would be a great idea. It is a really nice experience and starts immediately with separate check-in and extras such as fast-track security, airport lounge access never mind the extras including flat beds on board. Even upgrading one way or part way would be a treat. Careful though 'cause you can get used to it as I can testify many flights and £££S later!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Upgrades

Hi

I have travelled Business with Sri Lankan (as far as I know they do not offer First Class from the UK).

Most of the time the London to Middle East sector will be overnight - whereas coming home is daytime - on that basis I would book and pay for Business outbound and Economy homeward. I would then bid for a business seat on the return sector (a bit like an auction). If I get the seat at a cheapish price then great - if not then there is no real hardship.

Have fun

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upgrades

Thanks for the reply! i do appreciate it.

So hard to choose but i do think it will make a nice surprise to the fiancee (wife when we travel) if i do upgrade the seats, neither of us have flown Business or First before so would make the journey a bit different!

Interested to know if anyone has flown Sri Lankan first class at all??

Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upgrades

Thanks Richard,

You are correct its a night flight going out. It will also be at the start of April 2018 when we go and it coincides with the Easter Break here in the UK, so my thinking will be if we do go Business/First Class it may avoid a cabin full of children?? Not that in itself is a bad thing or anything like that, but the start of our honeymoon i would like to be special.

Thanks again for your advice, it is most appreciated.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upgrades

I know what I would do . I would fly business class on the way out. Then I would split my stay; 1 week in a BV and one week in whatever WV you can afford. Best of both worlds . Then fly economy back when it really doesn't matter ( it won't be an overnight flight back )

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upgrades

If you are doing a water villa with pool for the second part after you see these you will want to upgrade straight away, we spent 1 night in the beach villa which was supposed to be 5 nights we went to reception & asked if we could upgrade early which they let us if it was me I would do the villa upgrade against the flight as said the villa is the main part of the holiday the flight is just a small part of it

Hertfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upgrades

I agree that it's really only worth paying to upgrade the outbound flight, as the biggest advantage of Business Class is the flat bed and arriving fully rested after some sleep.

However, I personally would much rather spend all of the upgrade money on the actual holiday rather than the flight, and the most obvious way would be to stay in a WV for both weeks rather than one. The Beach Villas are the oldest on the island and are definitely showing their age, so even an upgrade to one of the newer BVs with Jacuzzi would be worth it.

My personal choice of WV on Kuramathi would be the WV with Jacuzzi, as these are cheaper than the new WVs but have a larger decking and a better position for snorkelling and seeing the fish life from your deck. If you currently are in one of the newer WVs in the second week then you could spend the first week in the other type.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
708 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upgrades

how about an overnight on a deserted island with the extra, or an exclusive boat trip out for the day with a picnic?

Not all island offer that of course but its a great way to make memories, special honeymoon memories