We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shared taxi from Ubud to Pemuteran and Pemuteran to Uluwatu?

Siliguri, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
Shared taxi from Ubud to Pemuteran and Pemuteran to Uluwatu?

I'm a solo,female traveller going to Bali in Oct'13. it seems that hiring a private taxi from Ubud to Pemuteran costs approx.550.000 IDR and about the same or a bit more from Pemuteran to Uluwatu. This is a bit of a stretch for my budget. Are shared taxis easily available at Ubud so that I can split the ride with other travellers? Are the drivers nice enough to facilitate this kind of sharing between different parties? Has anyone shared taxis on this route or can offer any suggestion?

Thanks!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,459 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shared taxi from Ubud to Pemuteran and Pemuteran to Uluwatu?

Yes, it's a long drive to Pemuteran, partly through slighly difficult mountain roads. Drivers will be perfectly happy to share with other people, the problem is that so FEW people go to Pemuteran at any one time.

Plus, the drive up is best done as a scenic all day tour, since you will be paying the full price anyway..there is a ton of stuff to see..temples, lakes, huge rice fields, markets. and other misc. things.

Perhaps if you post your specific details here (exactly when and on what day you want to leave) someone else has a plan to go to Pemuteran on that day and will share with you. Drivers themselves cannot coordinate with completely separate customers that they are not in touch with.

There is another, cheaper, but more complicated option...take the Perama shuttle from Ubud to Lovina and then find a driver to take you the extra hour or so to Pemuteran.

BTW, Pemuteran is a very quiet place. You might consider an option of going to Nusa Lembongan, which is much busier and has day trips available that include sporkeling, etc. Just a thought. Menjangan which is reached from Pemuteran is my favorite place by far, but if logistics are a problem Nusa Lembongan is one alternative for snorkeling. Or even Amed or Candi Dasa.

Good luck, hope you have a great trip.

Siliguri, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shared taxi from Ubud to Pemuteran and Pemuteran to Uluwatu?

Thanks. I did check out the other spots for snorkelling but nothing seems as good as Menjangan so I don't mind the trouble of going all the way and I'll only be there for a day.

I've planned to leave for Pemuteran on 16th Oct (as early as possible) and back from Pemuteran to Uluwatu next day afternoon (after diving at Menjangan).

I was considering taking the Perama shuttle, atleast one way. Any idea how long it takes to Lovina? And from Lovina onward to Pemuteran? The bus leaves from Ubud at 11am the site says.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,459 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shared taxi from Ubud to Pemuteran and Pemuteran to Uluwatu?

Hi, You should call Perama directly..I have no connection with them and have not taken that specific route. Lovina to Pemuteran you will have to arrange a private car, or if you hop on a small long distance bus or even bemo it's very unpredictable when you will arrive..

You need to spend the night in Pemuteran BEFORE you snorkel because snorkeling starts in the early morning when waters are calmest. Or you could possibly spend the night in Lovina and go very early to Pemuteran. Be sure you book a trip to Menjangan before you go so you are prepared and arrive in time..or literally the boat will leave without you.

There are many dive shops that can arrange this for you when you arrive, btw.

Thinking about this more, I think you should take private driver up and combine it with a day's sightseeing in the mountains, then take the bus/Perama Shuttle back, when you have no time problems. Also, if you tell your hotel that you are looking for a shared car, it's possible that they have other guests leaving that day and can put you two together.

However, from your start in Uluwatu the chances of another person going to Pemuteran are practically NIL.

4. Re: Shared taxi from Ubud to Pemuteran and Pemuteran to Uluwatu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 17, 2014