We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iphone advice

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Iphone advice

Hi wanting some info from other people's experiences.

I am thinking of taking my iphone mainly so I dont have to carry a camera as well as a phone (if i didnt take iphone would have some phone with me). Im travelling without family so need a phone with me!

I understand you turn our apps off (somehow) to avoid a large bill on return home. I had roaming set up on my old phone (same number) so am I right in assuming this would still be available to me?

Also will be able to use iphone Wifi at resort etc.

Please advise, thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iphone advice

I have taken my iphone with me before and I make sure that both my data roaming and cellular data buttons are both off. This way the apps you have can only be accessed if you are within a wifi area

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iphone advice

Go to settings. General >Cellular > Data Roaming. Turn off Data roaming. Also make sure your phone is unlocked BEFORE you leave Aus. if you want to buy a local sim. You can do this by phoning your carrier; ie Telstra. If you leave your current sim in the phone while in Bali,if you make calls they will be very expensive and you will also pay to recieve calls. Local sim is the way to go in my opinion. You can get these near the Bintang Supermarket in Seminyak. Search other posts on this forum for similar advice. Hope this helps.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iphone advice

I have just came back from two weeks in Bali - and some time in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur as well.

I do have notifications for any app set on my phone, anyway BUT turn all your notifications off - I then divert all my calls to voicemail, I use Telstra and have that voice2text service, so if someone leaves a message - i get a text with the content.

So log into wifi at the hotel or resort - (if its free) and the same at many restaurants and bars.

So when we got back we had to pay 50 cents for 2 text messages, the rest of the time we stayed in time with facebook and email.

Unless you are going to do lots of calls and data that is not free - it might not be necessary to get a local sim - but if you are making a few calls it is certainly the cheaper way to go.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iphone advice

When I went to Singapore (not so much Bali as I bought a sim and data there (for about $11 AUD)), I called the iPhone number provided to me by my network and had my phone unlocked (to enable the Bali sim). I then had them approve my international roaming.

However, in Singapore I only used the wi-fi and I generally found the easiest way to avoid having to turn this off and that off was to simply put the phone on Flightmode, which is found in settings. It only allows wifi access and you cannot recieve/ send calls or texts or data while it is switched on.

It must have worked as I got a normal bill when I arrived home.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
171 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iphone advice

I took my iPhone, turned off all data, yes it comes in handy as a camera and a communication tool...

I downloaded viber, used FaceTime and Facebook....most restaurants cares, eateries and hotels have free wifi...

If u don't or ur family don't use Facebook....like mine don't....we set up two accounts....one to log into for the person travelling and one for the ones at home....we only have the six family members on it and there partners...

Enjoy ur holiday..Los a great addictive place....

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iphone advice

Hi,

To add on 1judes, I would advise to not only switch off Data Roamning, but Data altogether, it should be one switch up from data roaming.

Flight mode is great if you don't plan to use your iphone as a phone, my iphone is now my camera, phone, gps etc...

In Bali or the US flight mode is my go to setting as I won't be unlocking because it would make me loose jailbreak. So even though I'm entitled and have been approved to unlock, no Bali sim for me.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iphone advice

I turn off data roaming/cellular roaming and use Viber for calls and texts.

There are plenty of wi-fi spots for a quick call or a Facebook check in ;)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iphone advice

All advice above is great.

Mi have just returned and again took my I phone.

I think that viber is fantastic way to call home.

I used it to call the kids each day and message them. And best if all its free.

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
743 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iphone advice

Thanks for all the ideas above.

My iphone is a new thing so just wanted to hear from you all.

I might look into Viber too, I will want to ring my kids sometime over the 9 days....lol

Thanks again

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iphone advice

Why don't you just use an Indonesian sim its dirt cheap keeping in contact with home. I use Indosat that come with unlimited facebook and upload pics and keep in contact with family and friends in 2 weeks in Bali it cost me about $6.

Get answers to your questions about Legian