We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in bali

perth.
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
driving in bali

Every time i go to bali, there are roadblocks checking motorbike licences. This time i will be prepared with an australian international drivers licence. Has anyone had any problems with the validity of theres while in bali?

UP2U Surf School Bali
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Windy Sun Surf School Bali
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Parto Bali Driver
River Rafting & Tubing, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving in bali

We always drive rental cars with an australian issued international drivers' licence in Bali and have had no problems. Sometimes the police try to tell us that the licence has expired because the issue date is on the front cover, rather than the expiry date.

There is a crack-down on motorbike riders not wearing helmets.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving in bali

We have had no problems either...we have never been stopped.

Tathra, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving in bali

We have just come home from a month in bali and rented bikes for the whole month. We all have international licence and wear helmets, shoes etc. we stay at echo beach and have had no problems. We have been going to bali every year for several years now and have never had a problem until this trip. We missed our turn when we decided to get some fresh fruit and pulled over so we could turn around and re join the traffic to turn the corner. We had been sitting there for around 5 minutes as traffic was bad and all of a sudden whistles started being blown and we had police yelling at us to get off our bikes. Long story but they wanted 300000 rp as they told us we ran a red light. Tried to separate us from our 18 year old son and tried to tell him that he was going to jail.. We refused tried to show them all our documents not interested wanted 300000. We still refused told them that it was not our first visit and to get the tourist police. We argued for awhile they backed down we rode off! It was scary but we didn't do anything wrong. No sooner had we pulled into traffic than they had 3 young western boys on bikes with young girls on the back who's eyes were as wide as saucers.. I felt very bad for leaving them but felt that we pushed our luck enough. Hate to think how much it cost them.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,045 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving in bali

Hi,

As long as the International License is valid for all vehicules you plan to drive and you obey the rules, you should be fine.

As Chris mentioned there could be attempts like the one he faced, if you did nothing wrong then politely stand your ground. Mentioning the tourist police and having the number in your phone is nota bad idea.

To legally ride a motorcycle in Bali, you should have a full motorcycle license back home.

perth.
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving in bali

Wow chris, you are very brave. we usually just pay the fine and move on. But now we will take your advice and stand our ground as we will be armed with our IDP.

Tathra, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving in bali

We didn't do anything wrong that's what upset me the most. We didnt raise our voices but we went back and forth that much that I think in the end they just gave up and realized that they perhaps should keep pulling over the young ones. We all have motor bike licenses in aus and spent the money getting international ones as well so i knew that we did all the right things. I know that it was only $30 but for 20 minutes of haggling I felt good when I rode away.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,581 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving in bali

Hi Chris

Glad to hear they didn't get your money. Why don't they stop those riding with no helmets etcetc? I see them everyday, sadly.

Cheers

Edited: 2:10 am, February 05, 2013
8. Re: driving in bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Legian
Recent Conversations