We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locals wanting Blue Jeans & tshirts

Brisbane, Australia
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Locals wanting Blue Jeans & tshirts

I was told that years ago the locals would trade goods or ask for your American tshirts or blue Jeans is that still true ?

Port Hedland...
Level Contributor
316 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locals wanting Blue Jeans & tshirts

Hi,

Have not heard that one,but know in mid 90's it was nail polish/old make up, then beach towels and shampoos etc, now and for a long time 1 and 2 dollar AUD coins?? Never been traded for anyhting just requestng a gift.

?????

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
427 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locals wanting Blue Jeans & tshirts

..ah memories..my first visit to Bali was in 1981 and yes I remember that myself and the 3other girls took our old jeans to trade..we ended up just giving them away and yep we were asked for US brand t shirts too.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,563 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locals wanting Blue Jeans & tshirts

Couple of years ago I hired a driver in Sanur to take us around, and he eventually asked me if I had any shirts or t-shirts with me that I would let him have as a gift. I seem to recall he wore a polo shirt with "Australia" and a little fluffy koala on the front, so I assume he'd been given that too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locals wanting Blue Jeans & tshirts

We were there in August and the ladies on the beach wanted things like sloopy joes preferably zip up ones and bras.

Really anything is good. We have been saving up heaps of clothing to take over there in March. Some for trade but mostly just to give away. It makes things real easy if you frequent the same place and the locals like you :).

Edited: 4:42 pm, January 07, 2011
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
681 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locals wanting Blue Jeans & tshirts

I also fill my suitcase with good unwanted clothing and shoes and also all the used colouring pencils that are no longer wanted at school.

Never had a problem in giving them away .

Townsville...
Level Contributor
254 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locals wanting Blue Jeans & tshirts

Hi, last month I was asked by a group of beach sellers (Tuban) for sunglasses, mobile phones etc.. They did not want these to trade, they wanted them as a gift. I was talking to my friend who happens to be Balinese and she told me that the Beach sellers -on sell them, I don't really mind if that is the case, however I managed to find out that one of the "poor" old beach sellers was extremely weathly and owned 4 houses.. In future I will give to the people who really need the items, usually the people who work for the bosses who have the licence to sell on the beach. I have saved up a load of things to take back next month, to give to those who really need it, my driver and his family and neighbours.

7. Re: Locals wanting Blue Jeans & tshirts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:40 am, July 09, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Legian